Old 16-10-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Re-potting an orchid

I have had an orchid named "zygopetalum" in a very small pot (about
10cm diametre) for the last 3 years. It lives on my bathroom
windowsill, where it enjoys good light away from direct sun, and a
relatively moist athmosphere. It gets watered every couple of weeks,
with a liquid feed while it grows and flowers. It has flowered around
3 to 4 times for me. I am however concerned that it needs repotting:
the roots are very crowded, and some of the leaves look tired with
brown areas. Should I just repot, and if so in what kind of compost?
(there are lots of bits of bark in the original compost) Should I cut
back the browned leaves, or should I pull the bulby thingies from which
they emerge?
All help much appreciated!
TIA
Cat(h)

Old 16-10-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had an orchid named "zygopetalum" in a very small pot (about
10cm diametre) for the last 3 years. It lives on my bathroom
windowsill, where it enjoys good light away from direct sun, and a
relatively moist athmosphere. It gets watered every couple of weeks,
with a liquid feed while it grows and flowers. It has flowered around
3 to 4 times for me. I am however concerned that it needs repotting:
the roots are very crowded, and some of the leaves look tired with
brown areas. Should I just repot, and if so in what kind of compost?
(there are lots of bits of bark in the original compost) Should I cut
back the browned leaves, or should I pull the bulby thingies from which
they emerge?

A favourite of mine, don't they smell wonderful, so distinctive.
After 3 years it will need repotting and you will have to try and get some
proper Orchid Compost (with the bits of bark) which isn't an easy task and
is why most orchid growers make their own. Some idea of where you are in the
world may help us recommend a supplier and I believe some orchid nurseries
have a repotting service (if you ask).
Any old pseudobulbs that have no leaves can be discarded as can any dead
roots.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-10-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm in Ireland. Thanks for this info, I'll go look for special orchid
compost.

Cat(h)

Old 16-10-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't they have a symbiotic fungus? I spotted this on some wild, native
Helleborenes (sp?) growing out of the the compost in a few of our potted
trees i was top dresing. Each one had a patch of white myceleum at the base
of the plant and a few had fruiting bodies (mushrooms) growing at the base.
After being told they were pretty rare I ran off to the my boss (i work in a
nursery) and said "I think I know why they are rare! I think they need a
symbiont fungus! So far every plant has had an acompanying ring of the
stuff!" (Thinking i'd made the orchid discovery of the century!)

"Yep" He said, "All orchids do..."

Bugger.... missed making the discovery by a 100 years or so i guess... But
still chuffed to have got there independantly.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA