Old 16-10-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default potato websites?

As very much a newcomer, I am bewildered by the range of potatoes
available in the catalogues (what and when, to crop when etc) at the
risk of repeating other posts, could sks direct me to a website which
would help me plan when ordering my potatoes.
Many thanks
LW
PS - new allotment looking very much smarter, with loads to do, but
loving every minute!

Old 17-10-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...
: As very much a newcomer, I am bewildered by the range of potatoes
: available in the catalogues (what and when, to crop when etc) at the
: risk of repeating other posts, could sks direct me to a website which
: would help me plan when ordering my potatoes.
: Many thanks
: LW
: PS - new allotment looking very much smarter, with loads to do, but
: loving every minute!

Some are on here
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...potat o_start

Old 17-10-2006, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/varieties.asp

Old 17-10-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

"Robert" wrote in message

"Little Weed" wrote in message
ups.com...
: As very much a newcomer, I am bewildered by the range of potatoes
: available in the catalogues (what and when, to crop when etc) at the
: risk of repeating other posts, could sks direct me to a website which
: would help me plan when ordering my potatoes.
: Many thanks
: LW
: PS - new allotment looking very much smarter, with loads to do, but
: loving every minute!

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/varieties.asp

See also
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ty_database/va
rtables.html which is a fantastic resource listing many characteristics of
potato varieties from disease tolerance to cooking qualities.

Liz

Old 17-10-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .

See also
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ty_database/va
rtables.html

The page cannot be found :-(

Mary

Old 17-10-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .

See also
http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ty_database/va
rtables.html which is a fantastic resource listing many characteristics of
potato varieties from disease tolerance to cooking qualities.

Liz

Got it now, thanks. The word wrap confused it!

Mary

Old 17-10-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .

See also

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ty_database/va
rtables.html which is a fantastic resource listing many characteristics

of
potato varieties from disease tolerance to cooking qualities.

Liz

Got it now, thanks. The word wrap confused it!

Mary

Sorry Mary, forgot to enclose URL in .

Slapped wrists :-)

Liz

Old 17-10-2006, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 13:14, in article ,
"Liz" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .

See also

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ty_database/va
rtables.html which is a fantastic resource listing many characteristics

of
potato varieties from disease tolerance to cooking qualities.

Liz

Got it now, thanks. The word wrap confused it!

Mary

Sorry Mary, forgot to enclose URL in .

Slapped wrists :-)

This site is extremely useful when trying to post long urls
http://tinyurl.com/create.php
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-10-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

"Sacha" wrote in message ...
On 17/10/06 13:14, in article ,

snip

This site is extremely useful when trying to post long urls
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Thanks Sacha. There are a few sites like that - makeshorterlink etc.
I'm usually pretty good at using my s or those sites. In my defence, melud, I was
side-tracked and forgot :-)

Liz

Old 17-10-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 21:42, in article ,
"Liz" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/06 13:14, in article ,

snip

This site is extremely useful when trying to post long urls
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Thanks Sacha. There are a few sites like that - makeshorterlink etc.
I'm usually pretty good at using my s or those sites. In my defence,
melud, I was
side-tracked and forgot :-)

Liz

Sorry if I was teaching about egg sucking but I didn't know about that site
until someone introduced it to me a year or two ago. It really does make a
big difference.

Old 18-10-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:01:13 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 17/10/06 21:42, in article ,
"Liz" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/06 13:14, in article ,

snip

This site is extremely useful when trying to post long urls
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Thanks Sacha. There are a few sites like that - makeshorterlink etc.
I'm usually pretty good at using my s or those sites. In my defence,
melud, I was
side-tracked and forgot :-)

Liz

Sorry if I was teaching about egg sucking but I didn't know about that site
until someone introduced it to me a year or two ago. It really does make a
big difference.

And for Mac users, there's a TinyURL Widget you can add to your dashboard:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 18-10-2006, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/06 09:37, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:01:13 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 17/10/06 21:42, in article ,
"Liz" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/06 13:14, in article ,

snip

This site is extremely useful when trying to post long urls
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Thanks Sacha. There are a few sites like that - makeshorterlink etc.
I'm usually pretty good at using my s or those sites. In my defence,
melud, I was
side-tracked and forgot :-)

Liz

Sorry if I was teaching about egg sucking but I didn't know about that site
until someone introduced it to me a year or two ago. It really does make a
big difference.

And for Mac users, there's a TinyURL Widget you can add to your dashboard:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

Well, I didn't know about *that* one, so thank you. I'll definitely
download that. BTW, do you find that the weather widget stopped working
for a while - seems okay now, though.

Old 18-10-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .

I'm usually pretty good at using my s or those sites. In my defence,
melud, I was
side-tracked and forgot :-)

I wasn't criticising :-)

Mary

Liz

Old 17-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Weed
could sks direct me to a website which would help me plan when ordering my potatoes.
The UK site http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/varieties.asp only lists commercially rown varieties and offers no help on cultivation

Probably the best UK site is the one run by WCF-Phoenix which supplies most of the garden centres and DIY Chains with their prepacked seed potatoes http://www.wcf-phoenix.co.uk/potatopicker/search.asp

The definitive European site is http://www.europotato.org/help_search.php this is comprehensive but purely text. It can be useful try the INdexes tab and then Characters (they mean characteristics)

A French site with many varieties that are available in Enland http://www.plantdepommedeterre.org/eng/mainvar.asp is a. in English and b. has pictures and ives growing advice and cooking uses.