Old 17-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Phalaenopsis

I have a Phalaenopsis that has been in flower for nearly three months.
It has never had any special treatment. It just gets watered once a
week. Another Phalaenopsis that lives immediately adjacent gets
treated as the instructions on the label. That includes cutting the
flower stalks down after flowering. That's what I did last year. This
year it hasn't flowered at all.

Steve

http://www.easynn.com
Old 17-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've found with mine ( and I have quite a few as they are my favourite!)
that if I cut the flower spikes right down they take ages to flower again,
but if I leave the spikes intact, more buds form relatively quickly on the
original spikes. However, the ones which have their spikes cut right back
tend to put on the best display and have many more flowers then the ones
which flowered on the original spikes.
Be patient though as yours will probably flower again next year and look
gorgeous.
Mel.

Old 17-10-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mel
I had the same experience. Read a book that said just to cut back to
three nodes - the little bracket like structures on the flower stalk.
Tried it and it has thrown out lots of side branches.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 19-10-2006, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Will try that idea next time - thanks!

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mel
I had the same experience. Read a book that said just to cut back to
three nodes - the little bracket like structures on the flower stalk.
Tried it and it has thrown out lots of side branches.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Am I killing my phalaenopsis??? Isabel Burns Orchids 7 19-05-2003 02:44 AM
What results are to be expected from crossing Phalaenopsis violacea? Ted Byers Orchids 7 09-04-2003 05:20 AM
repot blooming Phalaenopsis Janice Wiegley Orchids 1 03-04-2003 05:32 PM
Art-shade Phalaenopsis Bacchae Orchids 3 06-02-2003 02:04 AM
Ailing Phalaenopsis Allan Risk Orchids 6 04-02-2003 09:38 PM