Old 18-10-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning Bramley's?

As Bramley's are supposed to be tip bearing, how the devil do you prune
them.

Answer urgently required as all my apple trees are getting out of hand, and
I need to do something now!

Alan

Old 18-10-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As Bramley's are supposed to be tip bearing, how the devil do you prune
them.

Answer urgently required as all my apple trees are getting out of hand,
and I need to do something now!

Alan

I have no idea, but pruned my Bramley the year before last, the usual way I
prune apple trees ( i.e. chopping back all the long branches ) and had a
rubbish crop later that year.

Perhaps you only prune back 1/3 of the branches per year?

Andy.

Old 18-10-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

As Bramley's are supposed to be tip bearing, how the devil do you prune
them.

Answer urgently required as all my apple trees are getting out of hand,
and I need to do something now!

Alan

I have no idea, but pruned my Bramley the year before last, the usual way
I prune apple trees ( i.e. chopping back all the long branches ) and had a
rubbish crop later that year.

Yes, it's because Bramley's are tip bearers which is why there is a problem
pruning them.

Perhaps you only prune back 1/3 of the branches per year?

Perhaps that is the best way to do it!

Alan

Old 18-10-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote
As Bramley's are supposed to be tip bearing, how the devil do you prune
them.

Answer urgently required as all my apple trees are getting out of hand,
and I need to do something now!

On this Friday I've arranged a tour for our pensions group of the fruit
fields at RHS Wisley with one of their senior fruit gardeners, it's also the
start of their "Apple Weekend". Would you like me to ask the experts there?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-10-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan
sorry have't got the time at the mo to give you a detailed answer, but
will do so before the weekend is out.
There is no panic - pruning wants to be done after leaf fall.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorks

Old 19-10-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote
As Bramley's are supposed to be tip bearing, how the devil do you prune
them.

Answer urgently required as all my apple trees are getting out of hand,
and I need to do something now!

On this Friday I've arranged a tour for our pensions group of the fruit
fields at RHS Wisley with one of their senior fruit gardeners, it's also
the start of their "Apple Weekend". Would you like me to ask the experts
there?

Yes please.

Alan

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-10-2006, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan
Apologies for not getting back sooner but have been a little busy.

Bramleys are partial tip bearers - in that yes fruit is formed on the
tips of the branches but it also produces some spurs and thus can be
grown in a restricted form - with decreased yeild.

Having said that, when it comes to pruning consider them as tip
bearers; they need a programe of renewal pruning. Prune in the dormant
season - February- March, follow general pruning methodology. Remove
the 3 d's. Dead/Damaged, Dieing and Diseased. Next crossing branches
or any that are growing inwards rather than out, any that are too low
or too high.

Having done this you will have removed some of the congestion in the
tree. The next stage is to remove more so as to generate new growth -
and thus new fruit buds. As Andy suggested it is about having a
systamatic approach of removing older fruited wood which can be
replaced every 3-5yrs in a bush tree. Then - you need to remember the
partial tip bearer habit. The leader will fruit at the tip and for a
couple of years below it on spurs, but it will loose its vigour. If
you look at a branch you will see spurs and possibly a new leader
growth, Cut back to the new leader.

Summer pruning is usually done to promote spur production and stop
generative growth. This is not what you want with your Bramley.

I am sorry but I have not come across a site that gives a concise
account of pruning tip bearers. I hope this is clear to you. Feel free
to come back it isn't clear