Old 22-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing
the conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-10-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Ah :~))
http://www.malvaceae.info/
Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

But also the ones I got from relatives, though those ARE easier to
propagate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-10-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
sucker?

The two plants I mentioned are easy to propagate vegetatively (assuming
the 'Park Allee' sport behaves like 'Park Allee'. The blue-flowered
Malva sylvestris are more of a problem - short-lived and with cutting
not reliably winter-hardy, and I've lost a few of these after the years.
Similarly with interspecific Malva hybrids - if need be I can reproduce
the crosses for F1 plants, but any decent F2 plant has to be kept going
vegetatively.

Does anyone else have "asperma"? I suspect that the two sports are
mention aren't unique - the variegated 'Barnsley' might be the same as
'Chrisjen', and 'Park Allee' is known to produce sports.

Old 23-10-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-10-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

That would have been my next proposal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-10-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings,

Coo not half! I've almost decimated one of my thunbergii plants to get
two to strike! It became a 'me or the plant' tussle in the end but I
managed it. Strange roots too, sort of yellowish in colour.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
the deciduous Berberis rarely take from cuttings,

Coo not half! I've almost decimated one of my thunbergii plants to get
two to strike! It became a 'me or the plant' tussle in the end but I
managed it. Strange roots too, sort of yellowish in colour.

I must have been unusually (un)lucky to get atropurpurea to root, as all
I did was stick a shoot from my mother's shrub in the ground. An action
I lived to regret when it grew up to be an enormous and viciously spined
thug too big for where I'd put it. She did warn me, but did I listen?

The purple-green foliage was handsome and it coloured up well in autumn,
but trying to control it and prune out old wood was a painful nightmare
so eventually it got the final chop and I dug it out. I remember those
yellow roots well!

--
Sue