GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What plants would you take with you if you moved house..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150484-what-plants-would-you-take-you-if-you-moved-house.html)

JennyC 21-10-2006 10:32 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we move
to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of various
things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and the
big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Kate Morgan 21-10-2006 10:48 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

snip

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France

kate

Russel Sprout 21-10-2006 11:28 AM

"JennyC" wrote in message

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we
move to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of
various things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and
the big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

I'll be moving this winter and what I will certainly be taking is my
collection of ferns. Apart from some seeds, everything else will stay.

Bob Hobden 21-10-2006 12:42 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"JennyC" wrote

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we
move to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of
various things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and
the big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

Depends what the conditions were like in whichever part of I was moving to,
some plants I grow probably wouldn't survive the very cold winters.

--
Regards
Bob H

Klara 21-10-2006 01:57 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , JennyC
writes

I've been thinking that I shall not take many plants with me if/when we move
to France.....

It seems a good idea to make a new start...but I did start a list of various
things that I was thinking of taking, and have just looked at it
again.....Perhaps that one rose (cutting from friends wedding bouquet)
should come along, and the ginger, and the Johnson's Blue geranium, and the
big yucca, and, and ........:~))

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

Anything in pots, some cuttings, but apart from that, there are, as you
say, the sentimental memories. The silver anniversary rose could be
moved, but the 35th - the coral-bark maple - only for the next couple of
years. The rest are all trees with sentimental memories, but those would
have to go as photographs....

(Another reason not to move?)
--
Klara, Gatwick basin

JennyC 21-10-2006 05:53 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

snip

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

JennyC 21-10-2006 05:56 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes

[...]

But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

Farm1 22-10-2006 04:50 AM

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without,

providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or where
I've given it to the garden owner).

My collection of named Irises, some daffodils and rare bulbs I've
collected and not seen for sale. The billbergias my long gone mother
gave me. My bestest rhubarb crown.

In short, the precious things that have memories or which I know I
can't replace easily (if at all).

JennyC 22-10-2006 07:30 AM

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without,

providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or where
I've given it to the garden owner).

...........google............OH !
This one?
http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...erfoliata.html
Or one of these?
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/vascular_pla...ilterStatus=12

My collection of named Irises, some daffodils and rare bulbs I've
collected and not seen for sale. The billbergias my long gone mother
gave me. My bestest rhubarb crown.

In short, the precious things that have memories or which I know I
can't replace easily (if at all).

jenny

Janet Tweedy 22-10-2006 08:48 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , JennyC
writes

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

Good Lord I dug mine out as it was getting too large and not that
attractive most of the time. I can't give away the seedlings! Are we
talking about Leycesteria?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy 22-10-2006 08:54 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , JennyC
writes
..........google............OH !
This one?
http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl.../Parahebe_perf
oliata.html
Or one of these?
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/vascular_pla...ilterStatus=12

I've got hookeriana from a small cutting that Jill Bell gave me when we
had a URG Meet at her house. It's very easy to take from cuttings but
gets confused with Diascias and similar small flowered plants.

Janet

Charlie Pridham 22-10-2006 08:55 AM

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

One of the hardest questions to ask any gardener! Have to say it would
depend on when you asked me as my favourites tend to change when I am
looking at something, right now I couldn't be without Hedychium greenii and
Cassia corymbosa, but if I couldn't have more than one plant, well then I
wouldn't move! took 3 lorries to get us here and most of that was garden
stuff.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Klara 22-10-2006 09:37 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , JennyC
writes
But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

My goodness - what are you waiting for?

Actually, I envy you the limestone: I find that (very broadly) I much
prefer plants that thrive on alkaline soil.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

JennyC 22-10-2006 10:36 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

My most favourite is the pheasant berry. I think that would live in
France
kate

Yep - on the list :~)
Jenny

Good Lord I dug mine out as it was getting too large and not that
attractive most of the time. I can't give away the seedlings! Are we
talking about Leycesteria?
Janet Tweedy

I am :~)
I love the flowers. I don't have one ATM. could you tell me why it's
unattractive? I might need to review it OR put it down the end of the garden
so I can just use it for cut flowers......
Jenny

JennyC 22-10-2006 10:37 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes
But we have SO many reasons to move !! The views, the countryside (as
opposed to town living ATM), the river at the bottom of the hill, the
fresh
food in the markets, the challenge of a totally blank canvas (it's field
ATM), New soil type for me (limestone) and of course the rather nice house
that we've seen...........:~)
Jenny

My goodness - what are you waiting for?

Need a buyer here first !!

Actually, I envy you the limestone: I find that (very broadly) I much
prefer plants that thrive on alkaline soil.
Klara, Gatwick basin

I have no experience whatsoever with alkaline soil, so it's going to be
interesting :~))

Jenny

JennyC 22-10-2006 10:57 AM

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

One of the hardest questions to ask any gardener! Have to say it would
depend on when you asked me as my favourites tend to change when I am
looking at something, right now I couldn't be without Hedychium greenii
and
Cassia corymbosa, but if I couldn't have more than one plant, well then I
wouldn't move! took 3 lorries to get us here and most of that was garden
stuff.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

LOL :~))

I remember AlanT saying that he wanted to start afresh when he moved a while
ago.
I wonder if HE took any plants with him ?

Foud this
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content..._feature.shtml)
We dived into the interview almost instantly. I'm afraid to say that my
questioning fell into the sadly predictable category, I asked him about his
favourite bits of the filming of the British Isles series, how his new
garden is shaping up, if he misses his old garden at Barleywood, and what
his plans are for the future. But I did get some interesting gems out of
him, like the fact that he's looked over the fence to see how the new owners
are taking care of Barleywood and couldn't resist taking a cutting from a
plant he regretted leaving behind. (I'm sure the new owners wouldn't mind
Alan, after all, they'd know the cutting was taken properly).

Jenny

Janet Tweedy 22-10-2006 11:43 AM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , JennyC
writes

I am :~)
I love the flowers. I don't have one ATM. could you tell me why it's
unattractive? I might need to review it OR put it down the end of the garden
so I can just use it for cut flowers......
Jenny

It does grow into a wild sort of bush, the leaves are nothing much and
the plant grows from the base, well you know what I mean:)

I could never see the flowers very clearly and hacking it back every
spring made for an unsightly clump of cut stems.
Didn't smell and birds etc never seemed to take much notice of it, not
even pheasants.
I'll see if I have any bits left that are rooted as I cleared most out
because no one wanted them.

janet

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-10-2006 12:42 PM

[...]

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

JennyC 22-10-2006 01:17 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

JennyC writes
It does grow into a wild sort of bush, the leaves are nothing much and
the plant grows from the base, well you know what I mean:)

I could never see the flowers very clearly and hacking it back every
spring made for an unsightly clump of cut stems.
Didn't smell and birds etc never seemed to take much notice of it, not
even pheasants.
I'll see if I have any bits left that are rooted as I cleared most out
because no one wanted them.

janet

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the
seeds in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

K 22-10-2006 01:38 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.
--
Kay

Farm1 22-10-2006 01:50 PM

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

My parahebe (took me 10 years to find out that it was even called

that
and I've ony ever seen it growing in gardens where I've lived or

where
I've given it to the garden owner).

..........google............OH !
This one?

http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...ls/Parahebe_pe
rfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave
(although not all of the pics came up - I'd been to that site before
to try to identify it). Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

Sue[_3_] 22-10-2006 02:53 PM

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/perennials/Parahebe_perfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave
(although not all of the pics came up - I'd been to that site before
to try to identify it). Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

I have a low growing white flowered shrubby parahebe that's pretty much
evergreen, but I'm not sure what variety it is.

And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer this
year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

--
Sue

Sue[_3_] 22-10-2006 03:07 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"K" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what
else do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat
the seeds in spring. Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of
toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.

A German friend calls it 'Peasant Berry' - which could be why she
thought I ought to have one of her seedling plants! ;)

I saw a golden leaved form last year and thought it prettier than the
ordinary one. Is it possible there are different forms of the plain
green sort? Because some people do seem to get much better flowers on
theirs than others.

--
Sue

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-10-2006 03:37 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing
the conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

JennyC 22-10-2006 04:12 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , JennyC
writes

What favourite plant would you not be able to live without, providing the
conditions were suitable in the new garden...?

In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
evaluate them.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Ah :~))
http://www.malvaceae.info/
Jenny

Nick Maclaren 22-10-2006 04:38 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

But also the ones I got from relatives, though those ARE easier to
propagate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham 22-10-2006 05:04 PM

[...]

Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-10-2006 05:20 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

JennyC writes
[...]

Yes that's it--more or less. The leaves on mine look slightly different.
Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super shrub?:-)))

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-10-2006 05:27 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"K" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what
else do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat
the seeds in spring. Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of
toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.

A German friend calls it 'Peasant Berry' - which could be why she
thought I ought to have one of her seedling plants! ;)

I saw a golden leaved form last year and thought it prettier than the
ordinary one. Is it possible there are different forms of the plain
green sort? Because some people do seem to get much better flowers on
theirs than others.

--
Sue

The yellow one is called Golden lanterns or something similar. The flowers
and berries stand out much better against the yellow foliage. On the
ordinary plant the leaf colour/tint flowers and berries do not contrast that
well. It requires a sophisticated eye to appreciate its true quality:-)
Leycesteria 'crocothyrsos' may be more to your taste --yellow flowers and
looks nothing like the standard plant.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-10-2006 05:30 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

The Leycesteria appreciation society are about to issue a writ:-)
A superb good doer. Flowers, berries, nice leaf shape and colour-what else
do you want. Blackbirds love the berries and the Gold finches eat the
seeds
in spring.
Available also in a golden/yellow form.
As if that is not enough the berries are delicious and taste of toffee.

And it spreads everywhere! Almost as bad as Alchemilla mollis.
--
Kay

And this comment from someone who won't hear a word said against celandine
which is a total thug.:-)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-10-2006 06:30 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| In my case I think it would have to be the irreplacable plants - for
| example the variegated sport of Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley' and the
| pink-flowered sport of Alcea x Althaea 'Park Allee'. (Perhaps in these
| cases my opinion would be different when I've grown them long enough to
| evaluate them.)

Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....

That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
sucker?

The two plants I mentioned are easy to propagate vegetatively (assuming
the 'Park Allee' sport behaves like 'Park Allee'. The blue-flowered
Malva sylvestris are more of a problem - short-lived and with cutting
not reliably winter-hardy, and I've lost a few of these after the years.
Similarly with interspecific Malva hybrids - if need be I can reproduce
the crosses for F1 plants, but any decent F2 plant has to be kept going
vegetatively.

Does anyone else have "asperma"? I suspect that the two sports are
mention aren't unique - the variegated 'Barnsley' might be the same as
'Chrisjen', and 'Park Allee' is known to produce sports.

Farm1 23-10-2006 04:53 AM

http://www.rainyside.com/features/pl...als/Parahebe_p
erfoliata.html

Most like this one than the others on the other cite you gave

Mine however has leaves which are finely
lobed and the flowers are a paler lilac colour than the one in the
pic.

I have a low growing white flowered shrubby parahebe that's pretty

much
evergreen, but I'm not sure what variety it is.

Mine is an evergreen too.

And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer

this
year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -
can't recall now why I thought so but I assume from something I found
on the Web. Mine grows by the side of the driveway in a very dry spot
and it is only watered probably about once a year. It seem to thrive
on dry and doesn't mind our frosts (can get as low as -10C here). I
gave a piece of it to a friend who is a keen gardener and told her to
put in a dry tough positiion. She subsequently saw one the same
growing in another garden in exactly the same position as I described
to her. I've never seent hem for sale though. Must check my Plant
Finder book.

Sue[_3_] 23-10-2006 01:41 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
"Sue" wrote
And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer

this year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -
can't recall now why I thought so but I assume from something I found
on the Web. Mine grows by the side of the driveway in a very dry spot
and it is only watered probably about once a year. It seem to thrive
on dry and doesn't mind our frosts (can get as low as -10C here). I
gave a piece of it to a friend who is a keen gardener and told her to
put in a dry tough positiion. She subsequently saw one the same
growing in another garden in exactly the same position as I described
to her. I've never seent hem for sale though. Must check my Plant
Finder book.

I think my blue one only gave up the ghost because it was small and
newly planted and I probably didn't water it enough to get it
established before our hot, dry spell. The white one does cope with our
dry conditions fairly well. Sometimes it loses leaves and looks a bit
tatty after too much summer drought or an extra cold spell in winter,
but given a haircut when better conditions arrive and it recovers well,
I find.

--
Sue

Nick Maclaren 23-10-2006 02:00 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet Tweedy 23-10-2006 02:33 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , JennyC
writes

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing;
http://www.joycreek.com/104-001D4.htm

jenny

Those leaves look better than mine.

Mine looks more like
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im....org.uk/flora/
images/small/4335s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.
asp%3Fitem%3D4335&h=300&w=300&sz=36&hl=en&start=4& tbnid=4PC73yW0FBVpjM:&t
bnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dleycesteria%2Bformosa%26svnum%3D10%26
hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-25,GGLG:en%26sa%3DN

yes, that's an address rather than a graphic file in text!

My leaves are ropier and the flowers are not so obvious but it still
shows how 'clumpy' the plant is and birds just don't seem to like mine.
Though I have a lot in my garden including goldfinches etc.

Now if it had a scent .......................

Janet Tweedy 23-10-2006 02:34 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

Yes that's it--more or less. The leaves on mine look slightly different.
Do you wish to retract your rotten comments about this super shrub?:-)))

No, mine still doesn't have a scent and the worst bit isn't shown which
is the sort of thicket of those hollow stems than come from the base and
the fact that the total shape is not very alluring:)

Janet Tweedy 23-10-2006 02:36 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

The yellow one is called Golden lanterns or something similar. The flowers
and berries stand out much better against the yellow foliage. On the
ordinary plant the leaf colour/tint flowers and berries do not contrast that
well. It requires a sophisticated eye to appreciate its true quality:-)

Ah .. that'll be the reason then ...............

Leycesteria 'crocothyrsos' may be more to your taste --yellow flowers and
looks nothing like the standard plant.

I think 'nothing like the standard plant' might well be more to my
taste!

Janet Tweedy 23-10-2006 02:37 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

Is it fragrant?

Kate Morgan 23-10-2006 03:37 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

snip
Janet there is a beautiful gold leafed form well worth a space!

I must try and track one of these plants down, it sounds delightful

kate

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-10-2006 06:29 PM

What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Yes. Like my Berberis vulgaris "asperma", which the national collection
| does not have :-) But I would have hell propagating it, as the deciduous
| Berberis rarely take from cuttings, and the few seeds it produces will
| produce plants that will probably not be largely seedless ....
|
| That does seem a problem - I've tried propagating Berberis from
| cuttings, evergreen ones even, in the past, without success. Does it
| sucker?

Yes and no. Only very close to the existing stems!

I originally propagated it by an aerial layer.

That would have been my next proposal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--