Old 26-10-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default UK drought - end in sight

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]
The poll tax was based on per unit of consumption, (i.e. per adult)
and
that didn't go down too well!

We haven't had a poll tax for centuries!

Well, that was one in effect.

It wasn't.

The words were a successful political ploy by the then Labour party, they
took people in by it.

Even with a rebating system, a tax payable in respect of individuals
rather than income or wealth sounded awfully like a capitation, or poll
tax, to me:

It wasn't payable by ALL people so it wasn't a poll tax.

Mary

Old 26-10-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stan The Man writes

Any chance of keeping this thread on-topic?

That would be a bit out of character for urg, wouldn't it? ;-)
--
Kay
Old 26-10-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mary
Fisher wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]
The poll tax was based on per unit of consumption, (i.e. per adult)
and
that didn't go down too well!

We haven't had a poll tax for centuries!

Well, that was one in effect.

It wasn't.

The words were a successful political ploy by the then Labour party, they
took people in by it.

Even with a rebating system, a tax payable in respect of individuals
rather than income or wealth sounded awfully like a capitation, or poll
tax, to me:

It wasn't payable by ALL people so it wasn't a poll tax.

Any chance of keeping this thread on-topic? You could try a new thread
to discuss the poll tax if you think it's relevant to this ng.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

K wrote:
Stan The Man writes

Any chance of keeping this thread on-topic?

That would be a bit out of character for urg, wouldn't it? ;-)

If I hadn't cut the Gordian knot by going away for a week and allowing
Mary and me to agree to differ on the niceties, I might have felt like
trying to prove it _was_ on topic in water-use terms! But enough's
enough -- till next time.

--
Mike.