Old 27-10-2006, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dahlia cuttings

Last year I didn't lift the tubers, but layered the beds with 150mm of
straw, with some dung on top. I therefore missed the opportunity to
reproduce from tuber splitting.
Mid August I took 12 cuttings (fuchia style using rooting powder), of which
7 have taken. This is the first time I've tried this, so some advice would
be appreciated. What's the best chance of these plants (now 120mm tall) of
Winter survival?

1. Leave them in an unheated greenhouse (min Winter temp 1C)
2. Unheated porch (min temp 6C)
3. Indoors on windowsill, but near a radiator (it's the only indoor place
available).

TIA
Bertie

Old 27-10-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: 1. Leave them in an unheated greenhouse (min Winter temp 1C)
: 2. Unheated porch (min temp 6C)
: 3. Indoors on windowsill, but near a radiator (it's the only indoor place
: available).
:
: TIA
: Bertie
:
My guess would be the porch. You can always take more cuttings in the spring
if they die

Old 27-10-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree. Leave them in the porch, but protect them from the frost.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-10-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
:
My guess would be the porch. You can always take more cuttings in the
spring
if they die

Thanks for that Robert, I've moved them to the porch. I suppose if we got a
severe frst warning, overnight they could go in the kitchen - where there's
no rad.

BD

Old 28-10-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
: :
: My guess would be the porch. You can always take more cuttings in the
: spring
: if they die
:
: Thanks for that Robert, I've moved them to the porch. I suppose if we got
: severe frst warning, overnight they could go in the kitchen - where
there's
: no rad.
:
: BD
Yes, that would be a good idea ... we don't get severe frosts down here very
often

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 28-10-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
:
:
: Thanks for that Robert, I've moved them to the porch. I suppose if we
got
: severe frst warning, overnight they could go in the kitchen - where
there's
: no rad.
:
: BD
Yes, that would be a good idea ... we don't get severe frosts down here
very
often

I'm only 30 miles West of you, but 500' up and facing East. Last Winter we
got -3 a couple of times, over consecutive nights - which causes most of the
damage.
On the plus side, last Winter seems to have bumped off most of the slugs
that feed on the spuds, on my two allotments.
Bertie

Old 29-10-2006, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote in message
:
: "Bertie Doe" wrote in message
: :
: :
[...]

....plus we had snow in November which was very unusual. I have two
allotments as well. Got plenty of solid sprouts this year and leeks have
survived the ravages of the leek moth with the fleece I had over the plants
all summer. All the best

Old 29-10-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
:
...plus we had snow in November which was very unusual. I have two
allotments as well. Got plenty of solid sprouts this year and leeks have
survived the ravages of the leek moth with the fleece I had over the
plants
all summer. All the best

No probs over here with the leek moth ...... yet. All I have left to crop
are ; 2 rows of spuds (Accent and Golden Wonder) waxy and floury
respectively. I won't lift all the spuds until I see signs of distress.
I've got about 30 Musselborough leeks and 100 cauliflower. There are 4
varieties of cauli and should harvest monthly from December to March. We get
them from a farm supplier in plug-form at 5p each.
The only real pest on the 22 allotments is the flea beatle, which means that
rocket-like salad plants, end up like Swiss cheese. I can avoid carrot fly,
if I plant early enough.

Bertie

Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
dahlia cuttings and tubers lowlife United Kingdom 3 29-01-2007 01:51 PM
Where to buy dahlia tubers online? Fleemo Gardening 9 10-02-2003 09:25 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM