Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cauli Romanesco Veronica

Martin wrote:
From an Australian recipe.

You made a cassoulet from an australian recipe?

Old 06-11-2006, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
My Francophone wife says haricot is French for a bean. So haricot
beans are bean beans.

))

Old 06-11-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Martin wrote:
and cassoulet uses
white haricot beans
or
white cannellini beans
or
ingot beans
Depending on the recipe.

I've made cassoulet perhaps 3 times in my life. Takes long to do and I
seem to never do enough )) I've used white haricot beans but never
heard of ingot beans. What are these? African?

As a matter of interest, what's the difference between flageolet and
haricot beans?

Janet G
Old 06-11-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 La Puce wrote:

Martin wrote:
and cassoulet uses
white haricot beans
or
white cannellini beans
or
ingot beans
Depending on the recipe.

I've made cassoulet perhaps 3 times in my life. Takes long to do and I
seem to never do enough )) I've used white haricot beans but never
heard of ingot beans. What are these? African?

I think he means Lingot. You can buy these in French supermarkets, too.
:-)

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 Martin wrote:

and cassoulet uses white haricot beans or
white cannellini beans or ingot beans
Depending on the recipe.

I've made cassoulet perhaps 3 times in my life. Takes long to do and I
seem to never do enough )) I've used white haricot beans but never
heard of ingot beans. What are these? African?

I think he means Lingot. You can buy these in French supermarkets, too.
:-)

The Australian recipe did say "Ingot"

According to what you quote it says "ingot" or "lingot". :-)

"Ingot" is the English, "lingot" is the French, which is why Puce had
never heard of it.

Come to think of it, I've never heard of them referred to as "ingot".

David

Old 06-11-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin wrote:
As a matter of interest, what's the difference between flageolet and
haricot beans?

I've learned recently that the flageolet is a young bean - and if you
leave it growing it will turn into a huge white bean. However, there's
some that don't, like the 'true' flageolet and will harden and dry (or
rot) if you don't pick it up in time. You must pick it when it's in the
green. That's why I didn't fancy pretending to get a flageolet when I
can grow the real stuff )

Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin wrote:
As a matter of interest, what's the difference between flageolet and
haricot beans?

I've learned recently that the flageolet is a young bean - and if you
leave it growing it will turn into a huge white bean. However, there's
some that don't, like the 'true' flageolet and will harden and dry (or
rot) if you don't pick it up in time. You must pick it when it's in the
green. That's why I didn't fancy pretending to get a flageolet when I
can grow the real stuff )

So do you mean that, in popular parlance, the flageolet, when dried, is
smaller than the haricot? I have some beans I have dried from ordinary
climbing French beans - Blue Lake. They make smallish white dried beans.
Do they qualify as haricot? I don't really need to name them but just
curious.

Janet
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin wrote:

So do you mean that, in popular parlance, the flageolet, when dried, is
smaller than the haricot? I have some beans I have dried from ordinary
climbing French beans - Blue Lake. They make smallish white dried beans.
Do they qualify as haricot? I don't really need to name them but just
curious.

In french beans is haricots, all beans are called haricots. I'm no
expert and I'm indeed confused. Bortoli, black eye, pinto, adzuki,
cannellini etc are all called 'haricots' even the French Beans we call
here are called 'haricot vert' )

Yes, I would call the Blue Lake a 'haricot'. The flageolet, a haricot
too, as I explained is an unripe green bean. I'm now hoping I'll get
the timing right or I'll end up with a 'fayot' - which is a familiar
french word for an ordinary stewing/soup kind of fat bean. I wouldn't
mind but there is not what I want. I want a delicious young bean that
creams well when cooked and has that special flavour we all like here
)

Romanesco Broccoli Update Pavel314[_2_] Edible Gardening 2 04-01-2013 11:53 PM
Cauli and broad bean problems Lintama United Kingdom 26 11-07-2011 12:45 AM
Lovely Veronica Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 3 30-03-2009 12:32 AM
Purple Cauli's Nancy Australia 5 22-10-2005 07:45 PM
Veronica question clipster Gardening 0 07-07-2003 02:56 PM