Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird tables....

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:12:39 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

Ah, but I want a bird TABLE - not a hanging seed feeder. I want to be able
to put out bread, bits of fat and various other scraps.....

In message , Martin
writes

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres

We have just got a Meripac (plastic) bird table with a 'sanctuary'
(squirrel-proof cage) on it on the principle that, unlike wood, it can
be thoroughly sterilised - just in case the worst happens about bird
flu. It has compartments and the birds seem to love it, and it also
protects them a bit (I hope!) from the sparrowhawk. On the downside
blackbirds and starlings can't get in it, and ground feeders like
chaffinches won't (and anything I throw on the ground disappears in
seconds into the neighbour's flock of white (ish) doves :-(((

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 05-11-2006, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 4 Nov 2006 15:13:20 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or
finger to
a cold surface - would that happen with birds?

Only if they licked a finger and touched it :-)

Or pull out their lil' tongue out at each others.

Isn't lark's tongue a specialty in your part of the world?
Martin

Errrrrrrr Manchester ?
Jenny :~)

Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:12:39 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:22:40 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

Hi all,

I needed a new bird tale last week and went of to the GC to have a look.
We
have a modern house so I wanted a modern looking one to hang on some
steel
trellis. The only ones available are ALL made of wood and very
traditional
looking. Ended up getting one and painting it blue to at least make it a
bit
less twee.

Then a got into a discussion with a poster here (the sculptor) about
bird
feeders and tables.... He makes squirrel proof feeders which look great!
His
site is www.llamaseven.com

I was wondering about a hanging steel bird table..... but while
discussing
it over breakfast this morning Leo said that maybe metal is not such a
good
idea as the birds feet might get stuck on it in freezing weather?

I was thinking of that ribbed steel they use for floors etc or maybe a
hardwood base with a simple stainless steel roof?

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Is the table cat proof?

Our own cat is so old he can't jump up that high anymore :~)
We don't get any other cats in our walled garden.......... But I prefer a
hanging feeder as the mice DO get up there...

Mice? What sort of cat allows mice? Is it a Norwegian Blue :-)

We use a transparent feeder hanging under a tree.
Looks something like this but no green parakeets yet, although one
occasionally appears in the trees.
http://www.wildbirdhouse.com/aspects.htm
Martin

Ah, but I want a bird TABLE - not a hanging seed feeder. I want to be able
to put out bread, bits of fat and various other scraps.....

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres
Martin

Had one of those - birds TOTALLY ignored it!
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Klara - you are a gem !!
http://tinyurl.com/yfr3cm
You can order them online too :~))))))))
The Banqueting Hall it is !

Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

"K" wrote in message

CJ birdfoods do a ground feeder table which has a metal mesh - so they're
obviously not worried about birds freezing to metal mesh.

The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or finger to
a cold surface - would that happen with birds? And if it did, wouldn't the
steel trellis present an equal hazard?

I don't know an awful lot about birds. Maybe their feet are not warm like
ours, so don't 'stick' to cold exposed metal? I almost got 'stuck' to the
inside of the freezer while defrosting it last week .....

You've got sweat glands in your fingers. Not sure birds have sweat
glands in their feet,

And of course you are defrosting the freezer in a warm (relatively) room
- impossible to do without some of the ice melting and making you wet.
--
Kay

Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

Our own cat is so old he can't jump up that high anymore :~)
We don't get any other cats in our walled garden.......... But I prefer a
hanging feeder as the mice DO get up there...

We use a transparent feeder hanging under a tree.
Looks something like this but no green parakeets yet, although one
occasionally appears in the trees.
http://www.wildbirdhouse.com/aspects.htm
Martin

Ah, but I want a bird TABLE - not a hanging seed feeder. I want to be able
to put out bread, bits of fat and various other scraps.....

You'll get more variety birds if you can do both.

Robins, dunnocks, sparrows, blackbirds happily feed off the ground and
therefore also off a table, but dunnocks and robins won't eat off a
hanging feeder. Blackbirds will take hanging fat balls if there is an
adjacent branch for them to stand on

Tits don't seem to feed off the ground, and a greenfinches and
goldfinches prefer food that is hanging. (Chaffinches and bullfinches
just prefer food)

What about a table that allows you to suspend fat balls (home-made) from
it?

CJ Birdfood do a hanging table, with metal chain and a mesh eating
surface in a wood frame - I wonder whether one could paint the frame
with metallic paint? Not stylish, but could be OK as a stop gap until
you find the right thing. It hasn't got a twee roof or anything - just a
basic hanging rectangle.
--
Kay
Old 05-11-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
Isn't lark's tongue a specialty in your part of the world?
Martin

Errrrrrrr Manchester ?

They are very refijned in Manchester.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...853794,00.html
"Keith [Floyd] nods, as he stands, Winston Light in hand, and starts
opening cupboards in my kitchen. 'Simplicity is of course a key, when
starting out. Nothing worse than those poor new wives stuck for four
hours in the kitchen, floods of tears and three bottles of wine down,
because they've tried to do lark's tongue soufflé. But the other one
is planning. Now... I need some bowls.' "
Martin

Or this............
http://www.ljconline.nl/indexjennyrecipe.htm
Jenny "~)

Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres
Martin

Had one of those - birds TOTALLY ignored it!

What sort of cookies do you feed them?
We have had jackdaws almost get stuck in our one. It is prism shaped
with open ends - triangular cross section with no walls.
I can't find anything like it with google.
Martin

I meant one of these: http://www.pigswhisper.co.uk/images/full/sq_feeder.jpg
Obviously you have something different.
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

wrote:

[...]

I think it's a good choice. We got the square table too, and although it
works, ours at least is tight and a bit painful to open to fill. But the
banqueting hall is perfect, and the sanctuary is easy to open.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:15:02 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres

That's a long way to travel just to buy bits of old bread.
Can't you make your own?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:54:30 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote
Isn't lark's tongue a specialty in your part of the world?
Martin

Errrrrrrr Manchester ?

They are very refijned in Manchester.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...853794,00.html
"Keith [Floyd] nods, as he stands, Winston Light in hand, and starts
opening cupboards in my kitchen. 'Simplicity is of course a key, when
starting out. Nothing worse than those poor new wives stuck for four
hours in the kitchen, floods of tears and three bottles of wine down,
because they've tried to do lark's tongue soufflé. But the other one
is planning. Now... I need some bowls.' "
Martin

Or this............
http://www.ljconline.nl/indexjennyrecipe.htm

A bit like Heston B's bangers and mash.
Martin

?????
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
JennyC writes

Ah, but I want a bird TABLE - not a hanging seed feeder. I want to be able
to put out bread, bits of fat and various other scraps.....

You'll get more variety birds if you can do both.

Yes.

Robins, dunnocks, sparrows, blackbirds happily feed off the ground and
therefore also off a table, but dunnocks and robins won't eat off a
hanging feeder. Blackbirds will take hanging fat balls if there is an
adjacent branch for them to stand on

Our city sparrows hang on the fat balls :~)

Tits don't seem to feed off the ground, and a greenfinches and goldfinches
prefer food that is hanging. (Chaffinches and bullfinches just prefer
food)

Only get chaffinches very occasionally.

What about a table that allows you to suspend fat balls (home-made) from
it?

I hang fat balls and peanut holders on the trellis.

CJ Birdfood do a hanging table, with metal chain and a mesh eating surface
in a wood frame - I wonder whether one could paint the frame with metallic
paint? Not stylish, but could be OK as a stop gap until you find the
right thing. It hasn't got a twee roof or anything - just a basic hanging
rectangle.
Kay

I actually want a roof - keeps the stuff dry.....
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:17:43 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 11:04:36 +0000, ®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:15:02 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres

That's a long way to travel just to buy bits of old bread.

Not for Jenny and I.

Aha. I've always wanted to know, is the Dutch Grand National
a flat race?

--
RonC

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:11:36 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:15:02 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres

That's a long way to travel just to buy bits of old bread.

Not for Jenny and I.

Aha. I've always wanted to know, is the Dutch Grand National
a flat race?

Are the British a fat race?

Non-sequitur.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 05-11-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:15:02 +0100, Martin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

We have a hanging thing shaped like a little house that we put bits of
old bread in. You can buy them in Dutch garden centres

That's a long way to travel just to buy bits of old bread.

Not for Jenny and I.

Aha. I've always wanted to know, is the Dutch Grand National
a flat race?
RonC

During the Dutch National Budgerigar Symposium of april 15th 1989, an
interesting lecture was presented by a well known judge. The lecture was
entitled "Pied is Beautifull". He mentioned a possible new pied mutation
from Australia called the mottle [3]. It appeared that similar mutations
also did occur in The Netherlands.
A few years earlier a bird was shown to him which was obviously pied in
appearance, but unlike any pied form known at that time. This bird looked
like a recessive pied but did have normal white irisses. The wingmarkings
were quite remarkable because the wingcovert feathers were white whereas all
flightfeathers were normally pigmented. This bird developed normally
pigmented juvenile feathering after hatching and during the first year,
however it became more and more pied in the second year of age. There were
more reports of such birds coming from the same area later on. Also during
the Dutch Grand National Show in 1989 a cinnamon greygreen was showed which
had become pied at age. This bird also showed white wingcovert feathers with
normally pigmented flight feathers.

jenny "~)

Bird tables Phil Bradby United Kingdom 10 19-07-2010 10:05 AM
[IBC] new tables Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 10:08 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Plans for building picnic tables Mike Australia 0 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
FS Dovecotes, Bird Tables, Kennels etc Lee Brooker United Kingdom 0 08-01-2003 12:51 PM