Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird tables....

Hi all,

I needed a new bird tale last week and went of to the GC to have a look. We
have a modern house so I wanted a modern looking one to hang on some steel
trellis. The only ones available are ALL made of wood and very traditional
looking. Ended up getting one and painting it blue to at least make it a bit
less twee.

Then a got into a discussion with a poster here (the sculptor) about bird
feeders and tables.... He makes squirrel proof feeders which look great! His
site is www.llamaseven.com

I was wondering about a hanging steel bird table..... but while discussing
it over breakfast this morning Leo said that maybe metal is not such a good
idea as the birds feet might get stuck on it in freezing weather?

I was thinking of that ribbed steel they use for floors etc or maybe a
hardwood base with a simple stainless steel roof?

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 04-11-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes
[...]

CJ birdfoods do a ground feeder table which has a metal mesh - so
they're obviously not worried about birds freezing to metal mesh.

The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or finger
to a cold surface - would that happen with birds? And if it did,
wouldn't the steel trellis present an equal hazard?
--
Kay
Old 04-11-2006, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:22:40 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

[...]

I agree... Birds are such damn traditionalists. I bet they don't even
appreciate your organic bird seed. ! :-)

I suggest a selection of Ugg booties.

Andy

Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen metal hanging bird feeders in painted metal and verdigris
copper, but shiny things tend to scare birds e.g. the rows of cds I hang up
scare the birds off my Brassicas quite effectively and it seems that you
might get a similar effect with a stainless steel bird feeder?

Gill M

Old 04-11-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Cap wrote:
I agree... Birds are such damn traditionalists. I bet they don't even
appreciate your organic bird seed. ! :-)

I suggest a selection of Ugg booties.

))

Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:04:45 -0000, "Gill Matthews"

I have seen metal hanging bird feeders in painted metal and

verdigris
copper, but shiny things tend to scare birds e.g. the rows of cds I

hang up
scare the birds off my Brassicas quite effectively and it seems

that you
might get a similar effect with a stainless steel bird feeder?

The CDs I hung up took the birds all of 5 minutes to learn to

ignore.
Are your CDs Val Doonigan CDs or what?

2 more things you might try and both of which work to keep parrots
from eating the new tips on my roses as they emerge. The first is to
tie plastic shopping bags by the very ends of the handles to the top
of tall stakes so that the bags flap in any breeze. The second is to
tie aluminium pie plates or hotplate spill protectors to a run of
string between stakes. The clanking together and shininess seems to
deter the parrots but not the wrens who come to clean up the aphids.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

We used to have one of those squirrel-proof mesh feeders with the shiny
metal tube that slides down over it to keep squirrels out. The big shiny
tube didn't seem to deter anything at all ... but the fox (I assume)
finally figured out how to untwist the bottom, and the lousy varmint
didn't just take the peanuts, he took the whole tube!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or finger to
a cold surface - would that happen with birds?

Only if they licked a finger and touched it :-)

Mary

Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or finger to
a cold surface - would that happen with birds?

Only if they licked a finger and touched it :-)

Or pull out their lil' tongue out at each others.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
account I no longer have wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]

No. They are Microsoft Beta testing software. spawn of Satan that will
utterly destroy your computer. Perhaps the birds are afraid of systems
crashes then.

Gill

Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know an awful lot about birds. Maybe their feet are not warm like
ours, so don't 'stick' to cold exposed metal? I almost got 'stuck' to the
inside of the freezer while defrosting it last week .....

Any ornithologists out there?

Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 07:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

The 'getting stuck' is what happens when you apply a wet foot or finger
to a cold surface - would that happen with birds?

Only if they licked a finger and touched it :-)
Mary

Well they might lick their beaks at the mouth-watering assortment I out for
them :~)
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Matthews" account I no longer have wrote
in message ...

"JennyC" wrote in message
[...]

Good point. Maybe matt is the way to go...........
Jenny

Old 05-11-2006, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Is the table cat proof?

Our own cat is so old he can't jump up that high anymore :~)
We don't get any other cats in our walled garden.......... But I prefer a
hanging feeder as the mice DO get up there...

We use a transparent feeder hanging under a tree.
Looks something like this but no green parakeets yet, although one
occasionally appears in the trees.
http://www.wildbirdhouse.com/aspects.htm
Martin

Ah, but I want a bird TABLE - not a hanging seed feeder. I want to be able
to put out bread, bits of fat and various other scraps.....

Jenny

Bird tables Phil Bradby United Kingdom 10 19-07-2010 10:05 AM
[IBC] new tables Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 10:08 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Plans for building picnic tables Mike Australia 0 21-04-2003 03:08 AM
FS Dovecotes, Bird Tables, Kennels etc Lee Brooker United Kingdom 0 08-01-2003 12:51 PM