Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default African Violet - no flowers

We purchased an African Violet last year from a nursery, in full flower.
This year loadsa leaf growth but no flowers. Soil is neutral and well
drained. Previously, the bed was grass lawn and hasn't been manured, so may
be a feed issue? TIA

Bertie

Old 09-11-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote
We purchased an African Violet last year from a nursery, in full
flower. This year loadsa leaf growth but no flowers. Soil is neutral
and well drained. Previously, the bed was grass lawn and hasn't been
manured, so may be a feed issue? TIA

You must mean something other than Saintpaulias (or live somewhere very
hot!) because those are tender houseplants in the UK. African lily,
Agapanthus maybe? If it's this it might just be that it's still getting
established, but they do need a position where they get enough sun.

--
Sue

Old 09-11-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
We purchased an African Violet last year from a nursery, in full flower.
This year loadsa leaf growth but no flowers. Soil is neutral and well
drained. Previously, the bed was grass lawn and hasn't been manured, so

may
be a feed issue? TIA

Bertie

As has been pointed out, this probably isn't an African Violet.
But whatever it is, the usual rule of thumb where feeding is concerned
is to provide extra potash to promote flowering ( and tye resulting
fruit, tomatos, beans etc when required ) . The actual role of potassium
in this is quite complex and not well understood even now. .
You can buy 500 gr packets of sulphate of potash and just sprinkle
some on the surface and dig it in with a hand fork, or water
with something like diluted liquid tomato feed.

michael adams

Old 09-11-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
"Bertie Doe" wrote

You must mean something other than Saintpaulias (or live somewhere very
hot!) because those are tender houseplants in the UK. African lily,
Agapanthus maybe? If it's this it might just be that it's still getting
established, but they do need a position where they get enough sun.

Oops, you're absolutely right Sue - African Lilly.

Michael Adams wrote
As has been pointed out, this probably isn't an African Violet.
But whatever it is, the usual rule of thumb where feeding is concerned
is to provide extra potash to promote flowering ( and tye resulting
fruit, tomatos, beans etc when required ) . The actual role of potassium
in this is quite complex and not well understood even now. .
You can buy 500 gr packets of sulphate of potash and just sprinkle
some on the surface and dig it in with a hand fork, or water
with something like diluted liquid tomato feed.

Potash still OK for African Lilly? If yes, should I wait till early Spring?
BD

Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Potash still OK for African Lilly? If yes, should I wait till early
Spring?

BD

Yes Potash is still OK.You can apply from late spring/early summer as
Agapanthus are a later season flowering plant. The bad news is that these
things tend to perform best when pot bound so it may be another season
before it gets to a sufficiently congested clump to produce flowers. Do not
feed it and treat it mean until it flowers.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the info again Sue, Michael and Rupert. So just to recap ; give a
potash based feed in Sring thru' early Summer, but stop feeding when in
flower.
So I must be patient, OT but 4 years ago, the Iris and lillies in my one
metre garden feature, failed to produce flowers - although the other plants
in there, did.
One of the pond groups suggested feeding (and raising the Iris basket). Last
year Iris flowers and this year I have Iris and Lilly flowers.
If feeding and patience cures the African Lilly, I shall report back in late
August - if I can wait that long
Bertie