Old 12-11-2006, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaves on lawn

Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?
TIA
--
Jill
Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?
TIA
--
Jill

Hi Jill

Not wishing it to appear a 'silly question', but what did you do last year,
(we did have an Autumn last year) and what do you want different to what
happened to the fallen leaves last year? What 'went wrong' with the leaves
last year?

(At our last house we had a huge Bramley Apple Tree which produced far too
many apples for us, friends, neighbours, Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all, and
we let them drop. The birds sorted them out over the winter. Nature took
charge of all the leaves :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike
writes
"Jill" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?
TIA
--
Jill

Hi Jill

Not wishing it to appear a 'silly question', but what did you do last year,
(we did have an Autumn last year) and what do you want different to what
happened to the fallen leaves last year? What 'went wrong' with the leaves
last year?

Last year we didn't have a lawn, just a patch of bare earth (we're in a
new build) Husband thinks the lawn could do with a last cut.

(At our last house we had a huge Bramley Apple Tree which produced far too
many apples for us, friends, neighbours, Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all, and
we let them drop. The birds sorted them out over the winter. Nature took
charge of all the leaves :-))

Mike

--
Cheers
Jill
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
"Jill" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?
TIA
--
Jill

Hi Jill

Not wishing it to appear a 'silly question', but what did you do last
year,
(we did have an Autumn last year) and what do you want different to what
happened to the fallen leaves last year? What 'went wrong' with the leaves
last year?

Last year we didn't have a lawn, just a patch of bare earth (we're in a
new build) Husband thinks the lawn could do with a last cut.

Great :-)) Go over it with the mower and compost everything :-))

Mike
Been there, done that, got the superb compost :-))

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-11-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike
writes
"Jill" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
"Jill" wrote in message
[...]

Erm...it wont break the mower will it?

Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snipGreat :-)) Go over it with the mower and compost everything :-))

Erm...it wont break the mower will it?
Mike
Been there, done that, got the superb compost :-))

Nah.... Just set it high and it will almost vacuum the lot off.
empty into composter and leave (No pun intended) until summer

Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?

Rake them off and bag them, or build a compost heap.

If you leave too many on the grass the grass will die off.

Alan

TIA
--
Jill

Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Jill" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a medium sized sycamore tree just over our garden fence. I have
raked off some of the leaves from the lawn and bagged them for mold.
What should I do with the rest of them? Rake them off, leave them on,
what?

Rake them off and bag them, or build a compost heap.

If you leave too many on the grass the grass will die off.

Alan

But by going over them with the mower, it will chop them smaller and they
will compost quicker, but as Alan says, don't leave them too long on the
grass. However the leaf fall doesn't last for ever so a cut say once every
14 days will be OK

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Robbo
writes
snipGreat :-)) Go over it with the mower and compost everything :-))

Erm...it wont break the mower will it?
Mike
Been there, done that, got the superb compost :-))

Nah.... Just set it high and it will almost vacuum the lot off.
empty into composter and leave (No pun intended) until summer

We always do that, provided it's dry enough to keep mowing - infinitely
easier than raking, in my opinion :-))

(We do keep a strong old mower for the purpose. All summer we use a
mulching mower.)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin