Old 20-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Default Acer palm 'Aureum (how big?)

Hi everyone!!
Hoping someone could help me I'm trying to decide if the above mentioned tree will fill the space in which I wanted to place it. When purchased it didn't give me any idea's of it's growth rate or average size, but it was so nice I just had to buy it.

Can anyone please tell me how big this tree may become?

It is grafted and currently stands about 15-20 inches tall in a 7ltr pot but if it will become big enough I will place it in the border of the garden, if not it will look better in a nice pot on the patio.

all help greatly welcomed

Doug x
Old 20-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_E

.... above mentioned tree will fill the space in which I wanted to place it. When purchased it didn't give me any idea of it's growth rate or average size...

... is grafted and currently stands about 15-20 inches tall in a 7ltr pot
Hi Doug,

I'm not an expert on Acers, but anything that's been grafted will grow according to the rootstock, not according to the named top part. So knowing the name of it won't help you to find accurate information in this case.

To some extent, keeping it in a pot will keep it smaller than if it were planted in the ground.

Also, Acers are susceptible to cold winds (they don't like it up 'em!) so planting it in a pot has the advantage that you can move it, if it seems to be suffering from wind scorch.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 20-11-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Doug_E" wrote in message
news

Hi everyone!!
Hoping someone could help me I'm trying to decide if the above
mentioned tree will fill the space in which I wanted to place it. When
purchased it didn't give me any idea's of it's growth rate or average
size, but it was so nice I just had to buy it.

Can anyone please tell me how big this tree may become?

It is grafted and currently stands about 15-20 inches tall in a 7ltr
pot but if it will become big enough I will place it in the border of
the garden, if not it will look better in a nice pot on the patio.

all help greatly welcomed

Doug x

At a guess 3-4metres eventually,but it will take many years to attain that
height. I suppose a lot depends onto what rootstock the graft has been made.

Old 20-11-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:07:26 -0000
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

"Doug_E" wrote in message
news

Hi everyone!!
Hoping someone could help me I'm trying to decide if the above
mentioned tree will fill the space in which I wanted to place it. When
purchased it didn't give me any idea's of it's growth rate or average
size, but it was so nice I just had to buy it.

Can anyone please tell me how big this tree may become?

It is grafted and currently stands about 15-20 inches tall in a 7ltr
pot but if it will become big enough I will place it in the border of
the garden, if not it will look better in a nice pot on the patio.

all help greatly welcomed

Doug x

At a guess 3-4metres eventually,but it will take many years to attain that
height. I suppose a lot depends onto what rootstock the graft has been made.

According to Vertrees the mature height is 6-8 meters. It is an upright vase
shaped cultivar, and reasonably vigorous. Not to be confused with A. shirasawanum
'Aureum' which is very slow growing.

Sounds like you have a 3 year graft. If the graft is well healed it should just
be beginning to show nice growth.

-E

--
Emery Davis