Old 28-11-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ot Xmas is near

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/11/06 22:46, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Cat(h)" :

Broadback wrote:
How do I know? Because hot cross buns are now on sale!

Hmmm. I always associated hot cross buns with Easter... Was I wrong?

The problem starts with the fact that Easter is a celebration based on
the
lunar calendar. Because of the difference in length of the lunar month
(~28
days) and calendar months (28-31 days) the dates that hot cross buns
are
prepared will gradually shift through the calendar year, and we have
now
arrived at the situation where Easter comes just before Xmas. A strange
phenomenon where we celebrate the death of JC before he was born.
--
Tim C.

You know, as a bit of an agnostic, I am all in favour of this
rationalisation. Let's get it all done in one day, that's what I say.

Oh no, and miss all that time off!

Ahem. Surely an agnostic shouldn't want any of it, at any time, at all.
Or does agnostic require a hedging of at least one bet? ;-)

Even us agnostics like to have a rest every now and again, or should Xmas be
renamed a bank holiday?

Alan

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-11-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Martin :

My goodness, a class in Apologetics no less, what next I wonder, but what on
earth in an Apologetic?

A Blairite?

LOL!
--
Tim C.
Old 28-11-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/06 13:27, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/11/06 22:46, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Cat(h)" :

snip

You know, as a bit of an agnostic, I am all in favour of this
rationalisation. Let's get it all done in one day, that's what I say.

Oh no, and miss all that time off!

Ahem. Surely an agnostic shouldn't want any of it, at any time, at all.
Or does agnostic require a hedging of at least one bet? ;-)

Even us agnostics like to have a rest every now and again, or should Xmas be
renamed a bank holiday?

Alan

Definitely NOT! I'm a traditionalist!

Old 28-11-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 28/11/06 13:27, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/11/06 22:46, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Cat(h)" :

snip

You know, as a bit of an agnostic, I am all in favour of this
rationalisation. Let's get it all done in one day, that's what I say.

Oh no, and miss all that time off!

Ahem. Surely an agnostic shouldn't want any of it, at any time, at all.
Or does agnostic require a hedging of at least one bet? ;-)

Even us agnostics like to have a rest every now and again, or should Xmas
be
renamed a bank holiday?

Alan

Definitely NOT! I'm a traditionalist!

Baa, humbug!

Alan

Old 28-11-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/06 18:03, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 28/11/06 13:27, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/11/06 22:46, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "Cat(h)" :

snip

You know, as a bit of an agnostic, I am all in favour of this
rationalisation. Let's get it all done in one day, that's what I say.

Oh no, and miss all that time off!

Ahem. Surely an agnostic shouldn't want any of it, at any time, at all.
Or does agnostic require a hedging of at least one bet? ;-)

Even us agnostics like to have a rest every now and again, or should Xmas
be
renamed a bank holiday?

Alan

Definitely NOT! I'm a traditionalist!

Baa, humbug!

Alan

No, no and NO. That's the whole point. I love Christmas even while I hate
its excesses! I want to wallow in every last bit of sellotape and tinsel
and of course, with The Grand Daughter, it becomes ever more exciting and
interesting. This year she will come with us to the farm owned by her
schoolfriend's parents and help us choose the BIG tree for the hall. The
'little' tree that goes on a table in the dining room is hers and she does
whatever she wishes to decorate that. No, Alan. I LOVE Christmas and have
my own very sincere beliefs which are not, perhaps, entirely conventional
but nonetheless genuine.

Old 29-11-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote
Oh dear!
You know, I often think the Govt should rename the official holiday
Xmas so people could insert the name of their choice instead of
Christ, because it certainly isn't a proper Christmas with all this
commercial whatnot and excess.

Or put it back a few days to the solstice and rename it back to
Saturnalia or Yule so as not to coincide exactly with Christmas (which
some of us still celebrate!) then everyone would be happy.
Bah, humbug!
jane

There should be a certain amount of 'holidays' per year. Then each religion
could celebrate whichever ones are pertinent to them. This would not be too
problematic with the 24/7 economy that we have nowadays. For instance,
people of faiths that don't celebrate Xmas could still work........Muslims
could take Friday of etc etc..........

Would not be very good for me though......I'm a 7 day atheist!

Jenny

Old 29-11-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "JennyC" :

Would not be very good for me though......I'm a 7 day atheist!

You could celebrate "Relativity day" which would be a holiday for the whole
family, or "Heisenberg's Friday" which despite it's name would be on a
different day each year. "Darwin Day" would start off being fixed but could
be changed and adapted by individual atheists to fit their timetable
better.
--
Tim C.
Old 29-11-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "JennyC" :

Would not be very good for me though......I'm a 7 day atheist!

You could celebrate "Relativity day" which would be a holiday for the
whole
family,

Ah - but in which timepspace would we gravitate towards?

relative spacetime
or "Heisenberg's Friday" which despite it's name would be on a
different day each year.

That's a very uncertain priciple.......

"Darwin Day" would start off being fixed but could
be changed and adapted by individual atheists to fit their timetable
better.

Nah - gotta be feb 12th :~) http://www.darwinday.org/

Jenny

Old 29-11-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "JennyC" :

Ah - but in which timepspace would we gravitate towards?

About 2:30, after dinner in the comfy armchair I think would be best.

relative spacetime
or "Heisenberg's Friday" which despite it's name would be on a
different day each year.

That's a very uncertain priciple.......

If it's good enough for Neils Bohr it's good enough for me.

"Darwin Day" would start off being fixed but could
be changed and adapted by individual atheists to fit their timetable
better.

Nah - gotta be feb 12th :~) http://www.darwinday.org/

It's early days yet, it hasn't had time to adapt. :-)
--
Tim C.
Old 29-11-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "JennyC" :

Ah - but in which timepspace would we gravitate towards?

About 2:30, after dinner in the comfy armchair I think would be best.

Aghhhhhhhhhh - not the 'comfy chair' !

jenny

Old 29-11-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "JennyC" :

Aghhhhhhhhhh - not the 'comfy chair' !

Now stop it! It's getting silly!
--
Tim C.
Old 29-11-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jane wrote:
Wonder if there ought to be a national gardening day, where the _only_
things permitted to open would be bona fide garden centres, nurseries
and gardens.

Now that's very much my kind of perfect day out - we should ban all
petrol ran transport as well and only use horse carts, bikes and err...
wheelbarrows. But pubs should remain open without question )

Which reminds me, does anyone heard or have a 'Wassailing' event near
him or her? I'm very intrigued about this ritual as it sounds
wonderful. Planning trips for next year )

Old 29-11-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote
Tim C. wrote:
~Following up to "JennyC" :

~
~Aghhhhhhhhhh - not the 'comfy chair' !
~
~Now stop it! It's getting silly!

yes, but I'm ROTFL here...
Wonder if there ought to be a national gardening day, where the _only_
things permitted to open would be bona fide garden centres, nurseries
and gardens.

Thought that was every Sunday in the UK "~)

Synchronised lawnmowing classes anyone?

Compulsory weeding ??

(I'll get me coat...)
jane

Jenny

Avocado ripe near surface, very not near core [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 02-09-2013 09:54 PM
lots of worthwhile twigs near the ugly earth were believing near the abysmal canyon Reverend Walter R. Tussaud United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:58 PM
Xmas Trees David Berry United Kingdom 1 26-12-2002 04:14 PM
xmas gifts david United Kingdom 9 17-12-2002 11:22 PM
Watering Xmas tree Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 6 17-12-2002 09:50 PM