Old 29-11-2006, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dornfelder grape - pruning and (later) feeding

Hi,

I planted a 70cm tall, Dornfelder grape in a large terracotta pot on our
pation last spring in order to cover the wooden pergola above. It was well,
fed to start with, and has grown an astonishing 4.5m long, along the front
of the pergola, (with all side shoots removed). The leaves have now fallen.

1. How far should I now prune this single-stem growth back? It appears to
be woody up to 40cm from the end.

Next year I want to encourage side shoots in several places to run along
cross beams, creating shade overhead, but not a complete (dense) 'roof' over
the patio.

2. Will shoots form by themselves if I keep nipping the 'main' growing tip
out?

3. Would I do best to let these shoots run along beams set at 90cm apart,
or might the growth become too dense in which case should I grow along every
other beam - i.e. at 1.80m apart (one on the central beam of the pergola,
and one at either side.

4. What food should I apply to the vine next spring, and thereafter - and
roughly how much? The pot is 60cm tall by 45cm wide at the top.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Keith