Old 02-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Tony Ashton

Default [IBC] Hard Pruning a Satsuki - Now or later?

I would like to hard prune a Satsuki. What's the best time to hard prune a
Satsuki? I am in zone 7 - Portland Oregon, and fall has just arrived.

Picture posted on IBC Potensai forum
(http://internetbonsaiclub.org/compon...,133/topic,170
52.0/)

The Back story - This was given to me by a club member 3 years ago. It was a
stump with branches poking out at all angles.

I have identified a single branch that will become a trunk, and some side
branches - as you can see this will require a very hard pruning of the
existing foliage - leaving a huge base compared to the single remaining
trunk - highlighted in yellow.

What do you think? Do it now, or wait till spring?

Tony

Portland Or.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Kev Bailey

If you cut them back very hard they tend to withdraw sap all the way down
the trunk to the roots. The usual way to avoid this is to cut any unwanted
branches in spring to a stump and when this throwns numerous buds rub all of
them out except one. Keep this one trimmed fairly short. This reduces the
sap flow gradually. Next year you can cut off the stump but don't make it
too concave. The bark is very thin and this would create a depression in the
healed over bark.

Best wishes

Kev Bailey
Zone 9, North Wales, UK

I would like to hard prune a Satsuki. What's the best time to hard prune a
Satsuki? I am in zone 7 - Portland Oregon, and fall has just arrived.

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk

Old 03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Tiziano

Tony Ashton wrote:

I would like to hard prune a Satsuki. What's the best time to hard prune a
Satsuki? I am in zone 7 - Portland Oregon, and fall has just arrived.

right 1 week after the flowering season ended
it isi quite late now , if you do it now the new
offsprings will carry no flowers buds next
season and it is is cold like in my zone 7
probably will have if not even offsprings and
branch will dry out and die

Theo

AGLI UMILI SARA APERTO IL REGNO DEI CIELI
E PACE IN TERRA AGLI UOMINI DI BUONA VOLONTA
(JESUS)

http://groups.google.it/group/free.it.arte.bonsai
http://www.easybonsai.altervista.org/

Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Michael Persiano

Tony:

I would add one thing to Billy's comment. Be CERTAIN that you do not cut the apex back to hard wood: cut the lower portions of the tree as required, but be certain to leave more foliage on the top. It is important to keep sap flowing to the crown to ensure its continued growth and to avoid major branch loss.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

In a message dated 10/2/2005 4:40:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I would like to hard prune a Satsuki. What's the best time to hard prune a
Satsuki? I am in zone 7 - Portland Oregon, and fall has just arrived.

The traditional time to prune Azaleas is just after they finish blooming.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Tiziano

Kev Bailey wrote:

If you cut them back very hard they tend to withdraw sap all the way
down the trunk to the roots. The usual way to avoid this is to cut any
unwanted branches in spring to a stump and when this throwns numerous
buds rub all of them out except one. Keep this one trimmed fairly short.
This reduces the sap flow gradually. Next year you can cut off the stump
but don't make it too concave. The bark is very thin and this would
create a depression in the healed over bark.

first of all should be interestng to see and
know the size and age of the satsuki concerned ..
the response will be different in a new small
plant than in a mature one and the way to cut
trim different also

Old 04-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Kev Bailey

The advice was intended for a more mature plant, as indicated by the
original question. Hard pruning of a young plant is not necessary.

Cheers

Kev Bailey