Old 02-12-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering

I am storing a tree fern and arum lillies, amongst other plants, in a
frostfree, light, cool place over the winter.

Neither have shown any sign of shedding leaves yet; should I just leave
them in place, and will they survive the winter?

Just wondered.

Thanks

Steve

Old 02-12-2006, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve J" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am storing a tree fern and arum lillies, amongst other plants, in a
frostfree, light, cool place over the winter.

Neither have shown any sign of shedding leaves yet; should I just leave
them in place, and will they survive the winter?

Just wondered.

Thanks

Steve

The tree fern (Dicksonia Antarctica??) will not shed it's leaves unless it
gets frosted over a period of time. Next year the new light green fronds
will make a good contrast with the older ones. If we are talking about DA
then there is no real need to offer frost protection to the trunk.
The Arum (aethiopica) in my garden still has leaves and survives fine
without any protection.

Old 28-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Registered User

I packed the Top of my Tree fern with straw to protect from frost . The leaves are still okay but I was wondering if the straw would restrict new growth and should I remove it and replace with fleece.

http://www.link2garden.com/

Overwintering Hyacinths Tbumpy Ponds 27 02-10-2003 12:22 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Overwintering plants don't do well? Polar Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 03:27 AM
passionflowers & overwintering Janna United Kingdom 4 10-11-2002 07:44 PM