Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis for poor soil

I expect Charlie Pridham may be able to answer this one. I want a
clematis to grow in my garden in the Auvergne, France. The soil is
poor with small tracts of earth/sand/decayed clay i.e. stuff as hard as
rock with putty like viens running through it and used in making
crockery. The Summers can be dry and hot but the winter weather is
viscious with snow on Christmas morning. We are high up overlooking
volcanoes which lay in the valley beyond, therefore the winds can be
horrendous, all adding to this beautiful almost etherial landscape.

I want a hardy cleamatis to withstand such extremes of weather and I
would prefer a large,white flower - any suggestions?