Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer Pseudoplatanus from seed

Hi
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

Old 05-12-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marco C wrote:

Hi
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

Don't open up the seeds. This is the sycamore tree. Its seeds need no
encouragement to grow as anyone who lives near one will know.
They will germinate if just laid on soil out doors through the winter in the
UK.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/
Old 05-12-2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:47:14 GMT
Neil Jones wrote:

Marco C wrote:

Hi
I have lots of these Acer pseudoplatanus seeds...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/238/1di5.jpg

What is the best way to plant them?
Should I remove the tegument or can I leave the "wings" ?

Don't open up the seeds. This is the sycamore tree. Its seeds need no
encouragement to grow as anyone who lives near one will know.
They will germinate if just laid on soil out doors through the winter in the
UK.

Yup. Any decent soil, not too wet. If you want them to germinate sooner
you can stick them in the fridge for a few weeks. Leave the fruit intact.
(BTW the word for maple fruit is "samara".)

If you've really got a lot, you might find some interesting selections of
f. variegatum and f. purpurea, or even combinations thereof like the
cultivar "Prince Camille de Rohan." In spite of the bad rap the sycamore
gets, it has many lovely and interesting cultivars. And its variability
gives you a good chance of seeing something interesting if you've
got enough seedlings.

Just don't let your neighbors get wind of the project, or you may
have a riot on your hands...

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Invite to Try Seed Swaps, A Free Seed Trading Website. [email protected] Gardening 0 13-02-2008 11:34 PM
Acer pseudoplatanus Marco C Gardening 2 05-12-2006 10:42 PM
seed to seed regions, US vs UK james Gardening 3 11-04-2006 11:37 AM
maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 02-07-2003 11:10 PM
Something eating my Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum' hodge United Kingdom 1 21-05-2003 11:57 AM