Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leftovers from Ivy

Hi
Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping (feet) bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to remove these
little leggy bits and if so how?

TIA

Terry

Old 05-12-2006, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

Patience.
In time they will wither and go soft and they should (eventually)
brush off the paintwork.
They will have a better hold on the brickwork but they do 'mellow'
with time - or maybe you just get used to the effect. :-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 03.12.2006

Old 05-12-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Insull" wrote
Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping (feet)
bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to remove
these
little leggy bits and if so how?

You will certainly do more damage than the ivy trying to remove it, let the
winter wind and rain remove them.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 05-12-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Terry Insull" wrote
Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping (feet)
bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to remove
these
little leggy bits and if so how?

You will certainly do more damage than the ivy trying to remove it, let the
winter wind and rain remove them.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Terry

I have had the same problem from last year a huge Ivy on one garden
wall. I have never been able to get rid of the little legs left over.
I even painted over them!!, I guess I just have to get used to the
effect on the wall.

Barbara
from
www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Old 05-12-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Terry Insull wrote:
Hi
Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping (feet) bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to remove these
little leggy bits and if so how?

TIA

Terry

It is a long,labourous,tedious job, use a flat, large paint scraper, it
works but it will take you several days, just take it a little by
little.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have never been able to get rid of the little legs left over.
I even painted over them!!, I guess I just have to get used to the
effect on the wall.

Barbara
from
www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Agreed. 5 years and counting, not much difference I'm afriad. They are
persistent.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Insull" wrote in message

Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up

the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping

(feet) bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to

remove these
little leggy bits and if so how?

We have had a similar problem and have never managed to remove the
remnant suckery things. In the end we painted over them and from more
than about 8 ft away, they don't really show up (but then we can't
afford to be too fussy given the size of the maintenance jobs around
here - if you are a real neat freak, you may not be satisfied with
that sort of bumpy paintwork look).

Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Insull" wrote in message
Hi
Just moved to a new property that had a common type ivy growing up the
walls, I've managed to remove it but it's left the tiny gripping (feet)
bits
still stuck to the brickwork and paintwork. Anybody managed to remove
these
little leggy bits and if so how?
TIA
Terry

General advice it to tackle the left over suckers asap once you've removed
the ivy. They tend to harden up otherwise and are indeed really hard to
remove.

You can sand paintwork down to remove it. For the brickwork you can try a
hard stiff brush, a paint scraper, either in combination with soapy water.

There is a FAQ from URG about it he
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html

I was wondering whether a blow torch might work on brickwork? Anyone tried
that ??

Jenny

Old 08-12-2006, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

I was wondering whether a blow torch might work on brickwork? Anyone

tried
that ??

Actually, that sounds like good advice. I might try it next winter.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
[IBC] cork leftovers Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 27-09-2005 09:54 PM
cork leftovers Tiziano Bonsai 0 27-09-2005 09:38 PM
Leftovers From Stump Grinding Alison United Kingdom 1 21-11-2002 05:44 AM