Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aaahhh! Daffs starting to sprout!!

Hi All

I planted Narcissi in containers (with a few in the limited ground of my
small garden). Not knowing what to do, I consulted the URG FAQ about bulbs
in pots. It's a bit ambiguous about when to bring them out of the
cover/frame, but I followed the instructions as best I could. They were in
a makeshift greenhouse - a Homebase interweb-purchased job, it's a tubular
frame with a shaped thick polythene cover. They were planted in early
October.

So, last weekend, I thought I'd bring them out (as it's been so mild - I was
actually planting up the last of my tulips cos the weather here in London
has been so incredibly mild).

Results: The two big containers of mixed White & Yellow Cheerfulness seem
ok. But the two smaller pots (13inch terracotta) of Narcissus Minnow have
started to sprout. One bulb has actually broken the soil and is showing two
green shoots!

WTF can I do? Are they doomed to failure or is there some remedial action I
can take to ensure a decent show come the Spring?

(I don't have a freezer big enough to stick them in until Spring, & if I
cover them with black plastic I'll surely only end up forcing even earlier
Daffs I don't want??)

HELP!!

Thanks in anticipation,

Dunks

Old 06-12-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dunks wrote:
[...]

Don't worry. Why you put them under cover to start with I'll never know
and don't want to know, but my tulips are sprouting to, so is the
muscari and everybody else's daffs.... Just don't worry. Leave them
outside and let them run their course. It's getting cold now and
they'll stop growing at some point. I've got tete a tete daffs showing
too and I'm not worried. There's very little you can do.

Next year, if you put bulbs in pots, leave the pots outside and
uncovered and if it's mild as this year, plant your bulbs end of oct
beginning of nov. I've put garlic in last week ... !! Wild times indeed
;o)

Old 06-12-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dunks wrote:

snip
HELP!!

Don't worry. Why you put them under cover to start with I'll never know
and don't want to know, but my tulips are sprouting to, so is the
muscari and everybody else's daffs.... Just don't worry. Leave them
outside and let them run their course. It's getting cold now and
they'll stop growing at some point. I've got tete a tete daffs showing
too and I'm not worried. There's very little you can do.

Next year, if you put bulbs in pots, leave the pots outside and
uncovered and if it's mild as this year, plant your bulbs end of oct
beginning of nov. I've put garlic in last week ... !! Wild times indeed
;o)

Cheers! That's encouraging. I didn't think I was the only person in the
world to experience the global warming phenomenon, but I did double-take and
think Oo-er! (like you do.)
Thanks for the reassurance.

Dunks

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dunks wrote:

snip
HELP!!

Don't worry. Why you put them under cover to start with I'll never know
and don't want to know, but my tulips are sprouting to, so is the
muscari and everybody else's daffs.... Just don't worry. Leave them
outside and let them run their course. It's getting cold now and
they'll stop growing at some point. I've got tete a tete daffs showing
too and I'm not worried. There's very little you can do.

Next year, if you put bulbs in pots, leave the pots outside and
uncovered and if it's mild as this year, plant your bulbs end of oct
beginning of nov. I've put garlic in last week ... !! Wild times indeed
;o)

Cheers! That's encouraging. I didn't think I was the only person in the
world to experience the global warming phenomenon, but I did see the little
b*ggers coming up & did a double-take and
thought "Oo-er!" like you do.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Dunks

Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/12/06 15:32, in article , "Dunks"
wrote:

[...]

Poor thing - you sound as if you were preparing for Chelsea with your talk
of freezers etc! I'd just leave them alone to do their own thing. You can
only dictate so much to Nature and this year is peculiar.
What you can do next year is choose bulbs in terms of succession e.g. early,
mid, late, which gives you a bit more of a spread in terms of flowering
dates. Maybe.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk