Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

Default metal garden sheds and laying concrete

argos are selling, maintenance free resin coated 'ship lap' style galvanised
steel sheds 3.03 metres by 2.37 metres for £400. i have been told that the
quality of most wooden sheds are very poor (not like the ones you see
already erected in the garden centres) which you only discover when all the
wood arrives at your house.

i would like to know, do these steel sheds come with their own flooring?
(the argos catalogue does not say). if not, i guess we would need some
concrete laid down; which as a 'novice' and retired would be a bit too much
for me.

does any one have experience of these metal sheds please, i.e. the good and
bad points and what to watch out, if anything? and is there anyway around
laying a concrete base? thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

"JWBH" wrote in message
news
argos are selling, maintenance free resin coated 'ship lap' style
galvanised steel sheds 3.03 metres by 2.37 metres for £400. i have been
told that the quality of most wooden sheds are very poor (not like the
ones you see already erected in the garden centres) which you only
discover when all the wood arrives at your house.

i would like to know, do these steel sheds come with their own flooring?
(the argos catalogue does not say). if not, i guess we would need some
concrete laid down; which as a 'novice' and retired would be a bit too
much for me.

does any one have experience of these metal sheds please, i.e. the good
and bad points and what to watch out, if anything? and is there anyway
around laying a concrete base? thanks

About ten years ago I bought a metal shed, not from B&Q I might add. It
came with a shuttering ply floor. The sub floor I did was sand and slabs.
Worked just great, always dry as a bone, nothing has shifted. Much better
that timber. I keep all my camping equipment in it. Never a problem.
Hope this helps.
Cheers. Joe

Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

"JWBH" wrote in message
news
[...]

yes thanks. not from b and q. ? if its a good shed with a floor, where did
you buy yours please? surprised you can keep things like tents in a garden
shed. i always assumed it was too damp for ours and end up dragging them
into the loft.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair
Tim Tim is offline

Try screwfix - got mine from them. Was cheapest place by far and beat
Argos.

This weekend if you spend over £250 you will get £50 off !

Old 10-12-2006, 05:53 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

"JWBH" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

"JWBH" wrote in message
news
[...]

Bought from a local garden centre. I live in North Devon so we are wet most
of the time. Never had a problem with damp in the shed. Stuff comes out
each spring and is put back each November.
Joe

Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

"JWBH" wrote in message
news
argos are selling, maintenance free resin coated 'ship lap' style
galvanised steel sheds 3.03 metres by 2.37 metres for £400. i have been
told that the quality of most wooden sheds are very poor (not like the
ones you see already erected in the garden centres) which you only
discover when all the wood arrives at your house.

i would like to know, do these steel sheds come with their own flooring?
(the argos catalogue does not say). if not, i guess we would need some
concrete laid down; which as a 'novice' and retired would be a bit too
much for me.

does any one have experience of these metal sheds please, i.e. the good
and bad points and what to watch out, if anything? and is there anyway
around laying a concrete base? thanks

Best shed I ever had was as you described - but yes, they dont usually come
with a floor.

I was amazed at the strength of the finished structure - once the last few
screws went in and the roof was on it appeared 'bombproof'!

g.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

JWBH wrote:

thanks to all. i've had a look at the screwfix ones and they look
the same as the argos ones. screwfix do a pdf erection guide, which
shows it going on to a concrete slab with no integral flooring. which
makes the whole business a lot more difficult for a novice.

You can get concrete ready mixed and delivered for around £90 per m3, you'll
need 1m3 to cover an area 100mm thick and 10m2, that is to say, put up
shuttering of any old timber in a 3.1 X 3.4 shape, put a sheet of polythene
in the bottom and order the concrete, barrow it in and level it up with a
plank, then give it a wipe over with a trowel, you'll have an hour or so
before it becomes unworkable, it doesn't matter if it's a bit rough and if
it rains you get a mottled concrete floor at no extra cost....it doesn't
matter if you only do it 75mm thick or whatever you like.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

"JWBH" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message

news argos are selling, maintenance free resin coated 'ship lap' style

Old 14-12-2006, 07:47 PM posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair

We have one and it is very solid once its up. You do need the concrete
floor both as a floor and a weight to stop the whole thing flying off in the
first bit of wind. One word of warning the edges of the sheets are like a
razor you absolutely MUST wear gloves while you are putting it together.
That said it is very stable and cheap once its up.

George