Old 17-02-2004, 11:26 PM
Andrew Glass

Default Metal sheds?

I'm hoping to fit a shed in our garden. Cost reasons have lead me to
look at metal sheds, also the fact they have no windows appeals for
security reasons.

The brand I'm looking at is at:

http://www.3leggedcross.co.uk/buildi...re_bedale.html

Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros and cons?

Initially I'd always have preferred wood, but the difference in price
for larger sizes is dramatic. If anyone knows of a good quality cheap
wooden shed supplier in the Edinburgh area please let me know.

I'd really appreciate any advice here.

Thanks

Andrew

Old 17-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Andrew Glass" wrote in message
I'm hoping to fit a shed in our garden. Cost reasons have lead me to
look at metal sheds, also the fact they have no windows appeals for
security reasons.

The brand I'm looking at is at:

http://www.3leggedcross.co.uk/buildi...re_bedale.html

Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros and

cons?

We have the very same shed. The door slides are very flimsy and broke off.
Hubby made stronger versions from metal.
The door channel fills with grit and frequently jams.
The panels are flimsy and dent easily.
We now use ours purely as a garage for the lawn tractor (only accessed once
a week and often left open)
We have built a decent wooden shed for garden tools and dry storage.

Old 18-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Andrew Glass

Sue da Nimm wrote:
"Andrew Glass" wrote in message

I'm hoping to fit a shed in our garden. Cost reasons have lead me to
look at metal sheds, also the fact they have no windows appeals for
security reasons.

The brand I'm looking at is at:

http://www.3leggedcross.co.uk/buildi...re_bedale.html

Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros and

cons?

We have the very same shed. The door slides are very flimsy and broke off.
Hubby made stronger versions from metal.
The door channel fills with grit and frequently jams.
The panels are flimsy and dent easily.
We now use ours purely as a garage for the lawn tractor (only accessed once
a week and often left open)
We have built a decent wooden shed for garden tools and dry storage.

Thanks, I feared it would be something like that. You get what you pay
for I suppose. Maybe I'll just build my own.

Any other shed reccomendations would be very welcome.

Cheers

Andrew

Old 18-02-2004, 12:08 AM
ned

Andrew Glass wrote:
I'm hoping to fit a shed in our garden. Cost reasons have lead me to
look at metal sheds, also the fact they have no windows appeals for
security reasons.

The brand I'm looking at is at:

http://www.3leggedcross.co.uk/buildi...re_bedale.html

Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros

and
cons?

Initially I'd always have preferred wood, but the difference in

price
for larger sizes is dramatic. If anyone knows of a good quality

cheap
wooden shed supplier in the Edinburgh area please let me know.

I'd really appreciate any advice here.

Unless the inside walls are insulated, condensation can be a problem.
It will roast in the summer and freeze in the winter.
And its not all that easy to bang the odd nail in, either. :-)
Security is down to the padlock on the door and how well it is fixed
the plinth.
I would have thought that the 'storm kit' was an essential rather than
an 'additional extra'.
Yes, I've always preferred wood since an early experience with an
'asbestos sheet type' shed.
(Not that I expect you will find one of those around now.)
As with all these financial decisions, 'Buy the best you can afford.'

--
ned

Old 18-02-2004, 04:40 AM
Amos E Wolfe

Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros and

cons?

Pro - They can't burn down

Con - they go rusty

Old 18-02-2004, 07:50 PM
the q

Try looking at this lot www.langhalegardens.co.uk, I've had several metal
sheds from them, good delivery AND Price,
Our sheds are Yardmasters 4X6ft, 10X13ft and 10X17ft. If you are in an
exposed area (probably not for most of Edinburgh) then they need to be
securely bolted down, ours are screwed to old railway sleepers. Their main
problem is condensation but the large sheds I lined with OSB to make into a
workshops and Pub! Remember at the metal sheds are screwed together from the
outside, so if the thieves have half an hour they can get in, but then the
wooden sheds could be broken into just as easily.

The Q

Old 18-02-2004, 07:50 PM
the q

"Amos E Wolfe" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience of this type of shed or other similar
brands. How sturdy are they, how secure against theft, other pros and

cons?

Pro - They can't burn down

Con - they go rusty

plastic covered steel sheet, stainless steel screws, galvanised frame work,
they'll last a long time...
The Q

Old 15-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Banned

I experience in building a shed metal roofing. I decided to use sheet metal roofing for both the roof and walls for metal shed. metal roofing is a bit more expensive than using other shedding, but it is a quicker one, and I could get it in green, which blends in better with the surrounding vegetation. I put some J-trim over the ends of the strapping, for making it nice. The J-trim is actually meant for covering up the edges of the sheet metal when it's used as siding around windows, but it works pretty well for this purpose.