Old 22-12-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking,free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

Default growing own japanese green mustard root

Have been given a piece of growing japanese green mustard root (Wasabi).
its a bit like a tiny brownish green carrot, with hair roots at the lower
end and a few small green leaves at the top end.

At the moment its in the garden pond. Is that the best place for it? If
left to its own devices it just sinks, so should I wire it to the pond side
so that the green leaves are above the water and in the air? Also will the
resident goldfish eat any part of it? thanks for any advice.

Old 22-12-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking,free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:07:13 GMT, "JWBH"
wrote:

Have been given a piece of growing japanese green mustard root (Wasabi).
its a bit like a tiny brownish green carrot, with hair roots at the lower
end and a few small green leaves at the top end.

At the moment its in the garden pond. Is that the best place for it? If
left to its own devices it just sinks, so should I wire it to the pond side
so that the green leaves are above the water and in the air? Also will the
resident goldfish eat any part of it? thanks for any advice.

I have no idea, but would love to hear how it works out. Whether it grows
well... and/or fish eat it, so it needs to be protected? I didn't even know
it was grown in a pond. Cool. ~ jan
Old 22-12-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking,free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

I suppose this post would pass though too since it contains a couple
of magic words......."pond", "goldfish" "water"," Sink" all in
addition just because Janj replied to it with interest.

-------
Old 22-12-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking,free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds
aem aem is offline

JWBH wrote:
Have been given a piece of growing japanese green mustard root (Wasabi).
its a bit like a tiny brownish green carrot, with hair roots at the lower
end and a few small green leaves at the top end.

At the moment its in the garden pond. Is that the best place for it?

Probably not. Most people grow it in loose, very well draining soil,
in shade or indirect light. In the wild in Japan, it is often found
along stream banks (according to what I read, not from personal
experience).

If left to its own devices it just sinks, so should I wire it to the pond side
so that the green leaves are above the water and in the air? [snip]

Commerical operations in Japan are said to grow it in sand above
flowing water but it doesn't sound like you can replicate that.

Here are two webpages with relevant info, one an Aussie gov site and
the other a nursery that sells the plant.

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.c...ets/d6720.html
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/pub/handbook/wasabi.pdf

Old 22-12-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking,free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

"JWBH" wrote:
Have been given a piece of growing japanese green mustard root (Wasabi).
its a bit like a tiny brownish green carrot, with hair roots at the lower
end and a few small green leaves at the top end.

At the moment its in the garden pond. Is that the best place for it? If
left to its own devices it just sinks, so should I wire it to the pond
side so that the green leaves are above the water and in the air? Also
will the resident goldfish eat any part of it? thanks for any advice.

What is Wasabi?

The wasabi plant (Wasabia japonica, also incorrectly equated to Eutrema
japonica), a member of the cruciferous family, is native to Japan and is
traditionally found growing in or by cold mountain streams. The earliest
cultivation of wasabi in Japan dates back to the 10th century. The grated
'rhizome' or above-ground root-like stem of this plant has a fiery hot
flavor that quickly dissipates in the mouth, leaving a lingering sweet
taste, with no burning sensation. Wasabi is more like horseradish than
mustard.

Field Wasabi vrs. Stream Wasabi

There are two main strategies that are used in growing Wasabi. The higher
quality Wasabi, both in appearance and taste, grows in cool mountain
streams and is known as semi-aquatic or "sawa" Wasabi. Wasabi known as
field or "oka" Wasabi is grown in fields under varying conditions and
generally results in a lower quality plant, both in appearance and taste.

Varieties of Wasabi

The most popular variety of Wasabi is known as Daruma. The majority of
Wasabi grown by Pacific Coast Wasabi is the Daruma variety, but the Mazuma
variety is also being produced, for although it is somewhat less attractive
in appearance, it has more heat than the Daruma.

That being said, I would suggest that you plant in loose moist soil in a
shaded area. If planting in early spring, make sure this is after
temperatures no longer drop below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. We suggest the
north side of the house, or providing between 70 - 75 percent shade. If
planting in a container, we suggest a 6-inch pot, transplanting after one
year to a 12-inch container. Too much sun will cause the plant to wilt.

It is possible to grow wasabi indoors with a constant 70 degree F
temperature. The plant does not require a lot of light. We recommend
that, unless wasabi is getting north light indoors, you do not put it on a
window sill.

In areas where the average high temperature is over 75 degrees Fahrenheit,
be sure to keep the plants out of direct sunlight. Watering the plants to
cool and hydrate will help the plant tolerate periods of direct sunlight.

The soil should be high in organic matter and should cover the roots of the
plant up to the base of the lowest stems. Water thoroughly. Any leaves
and stems that are a little wilted should perk up. If they remain wilted
for a few days, remove them. New leaves should appear.

During the summer months when the sun is strong and temperatures are high,
protect the plant by providing shade. We use shade cloth. Providing plenty
of moisture also helps. You can mist the plants and water the soil. In
the winter months where temperatures fall to 30 degrees Fahrenheit and
below, plants should be well mulched and protected with plastic or some
other covering. Plants can even be brought indoors.

A good vegetable fertilizer should be applied every six months. To
increase the flavor and heat of the plant, sulfur should be added. To
protect the Wasabi plant from slugs and snails, any metaldehyde type slug
bait should work well.

After approximately 18 months to 2 years, the Wasabi plants will be ready
for harvest. The main root (rhizome) will have reached 4 to 6 inches and
approximately one inch in diameter and about 6 inches in length (total
plant). Pull up the plants and remove any side shoots (baby plants).
These can be used for replanting.

Wash the plants thoroughly and remove any dead or dying leaves. Break the
roots off at the rhizome and cut off the stems and leaves. Many people use
the leaves as a garnish or even as a salad item. Scrub the main rhizome to
remove any soil and debris. Grate, using a fine grater in a circular
motion. After grating, chop the fresh Wasabi with the back side of a
knife. This will release more of the flavor. Compress the fresh Wasabi
into a ball and let stand for five to ten minutes at room temperature so
that the sweetness and heat have time to develop.

HTH

~Semper Fi~