Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering Regal Pelargoniums outside

I have been waiting for a forecast of the first winter frost before lifting
my Peggy Sue regal pelargoniums. However they are still presenting a bright
green foliage though the last flowers went a few weeks ago. I am wondering
if I could overwinter them outside in South London with a cloche or
bubblewrap covering.
Any advice gratefully received.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"M Keville" wrote
I have been waiting for a forecast of the first winter frost before lifting
my Peggy Sue regal pelargoniums. However they are still presenting a bright
green foliage though the last flowers went a few weeks ago. I am wondering
if I could overwinter them outside in South London with a cloche or
bubblewrap covering.
Any advice gratefully received.

They will not take a proper frost and aren't too keen on the cold when it's
also very wet/dull. I'm not saying it won't work, but would take a few
cuttings as insurance (although it's a bit late!).

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 02-01-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Bob Hobden wrote:
"M Keville" wrote
I have been waiting for a forecast of the first winter frost before lifting
my Peggy Sue regal pelargoniums. However they are still presenting a bright
green foliage though the last flowers went a few weeks ago. I am wondering
if I could overwinter them outside in South London with a cloche or
bubblewrap covering.
Any advice gratefully received.

They will not take a proper frost and aren't too keen on the cold when it's
also very wet/dull. I'm not saying it won't work, but would take a few
cuttings as insurance (although it's a bit late!).

Agreed. It's a risk I'd take only if I had some reserves. It _is_ late
for pelargonium cuttings, but they'll still strike: the problem may be
preventing their getting too leggy. But you can cut them back in
spring.

I've got some that have survived the past two winters in a sheltered
spot in Cheltenham.

--
Mike.