Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default more Regal Pelargoniums

Hi

I took some cuttings of old, (outdoor) pelargonium plants back in late
October and the re-potted, 'cuttings' / plants are a healthy ten inches
tall - with the floweres pinched out as buds and the top stopped.

They are kept in the greeenhouse (unheated).

Had I known the cuttings were going to go so well I would have taken more
cuttings.

I am now tempted to take cuttings from the 'cuttings' - to make even more
new plants for 2007, as the new plants are growing so big already.

Could this damage the new plants (provided they don't get frosted).

Would this be wise?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Keith

Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
Hi

I took some cuttings of old, (outdoor) pelargonium plants back in late
October and the re-potted, 'cuttings' / plants are a healthy ten inches
tall - with the floweres pinched out as buds and the top stopped.

They are kept in the greeenhouse (unheated).

Had I known the cuttings were going to go so well I would have taken more
cuttings.

I am now tempted to take cuttings from the 'cuttings' - to make even more
new plants for 2007, as the new plants are growing so big already.

Could this damage the new plants (provided they don't get frosted).

Would this be wise?

I think I'd wait a few weeks. You could strike cuttings easily enough
in the warmth of the house, but it might weaken the parents, which are
still very young. You were right to pinch out the flower buds at this
stage and at these low temps. If you get a really bad frost I wouldn't
guarantee the plants' survival in an unheated greenhouse; but you'll
probably be all right -- don't give them too much water, as ice round
the roots would certainly skittle them, but by then the stems would be
frozen to death too. It might be an idea to wrap them, pots and all, in
clear polythene or bubble wrap.

Geoffrey Smith said he used to winter his pelargoniums wrapped in
newspaper on top of the unheated spare bedroom wardrobe.

--
Mike.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that... and the reminderv that I am still dealing with young
plants. I was getting too greedy with the idea of cuttings from cuttings!

Fortunately we very rarely get any frosts here, even outside. The chance of
ice inside the greenhouse is therefore at least seems almost 'impossible'.

Having said that, as we all know, the weather is never predictable, so I'll
be quick to respond if the thermometer drops.

Best wishes,

Keith

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...