Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is ivy bad for trees?

I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:

1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave it.

2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the trees,
and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.

My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Eric L Drever writes:
| I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
| have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
| should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:
|
| 1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave it.
|
| 2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the trees,
| and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.
|
| My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Eric L Drever writes:
| I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
| have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
| should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:
|
| 1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave
it.

| 2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the
trees,
| and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.
|
| My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.

Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.

The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times but
have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:

| In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
| canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
| wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.
|
| Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
| flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.
|
| The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
| bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times but
| have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

It does, but only when the ivy dominates the canopy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eric L Drever writes:
| I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
| have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
| should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:
|
| 1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave
it.

| 2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the
trees,
| and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.
|
| My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.

Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.

The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times but
have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

Happened down the road a few weeks ago.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eric L Drever" wrote in message
I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:

1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave it.

2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the trees,
and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.

My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

Just to add to your confusion:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html
Jenny "~)

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Eric L Drever writes:
| I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
| have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
| should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:
|
| 1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave
it.

| 2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the
trees,
| and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.
|
| My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.

Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.

The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times
but
have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

Happened down the road a few weeks ago.

Fair enough!

Des in windy ivy covered treeless Dublin

Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:

| The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
| bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times
| but
| have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.
|
| Happened down the road a few weeks ago.
|
| Fair enough!
|
| Des in windy ivy covered treeless Dublin

Only in the Old Country could ivy bring trees down in a treeless location!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" writes:

| In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
| canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
| wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.
|
| Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
| flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.
|
| The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it

can
| bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times

but
| have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

It does, but only when the ivy dominates the canopy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think in many cases when you see a tree (or part of it) down and its
covered with ivy, its the fact that it in part has become dead or diseased
but unnoticed due to the healthy ivy. I am sure the extra windage in winter
can be a problem but then again down here summer storms are not that rare
and trees seem fine with a full set of leaves, so if it were me I would
leave most of it and only remove it if it spoils the shape or outline of a
tree.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/1/07 09:40, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:

| The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it can
| bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times
| but
| have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.
|
| Happened down the road a few weeks ago.
|
| Fair enough!
|
| Des in windy ivy covered treeless Dublin

Only in the Old Country could ivy bring trees down in a treeless location!

Perhaps he didn't mean to start from there. ;-))

Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

On 9/1/07 17:41, in article , "Eric L
Drever" wrote:

I have just acquired a garden with some big, established trees. They
have a lot of ivy growing up them. I have asked friends whether I
should leave this or remove it, and so far have had two responses:

1 Ivy isn't a parasite and doesn't do the trees any harm, so leave it.

2 Ivy may not be a parasite but the weight of it is bad for the trees,
and it isn't doing them any good, so get rid of it.

My friends are now hardly on speaking terms. Who is right?

AFAIK, it doesn't do the trees any harm but in big gales, such as we are
having now, the windage of the ivy on a leafless tree will still act as a
sail and might bring the tree down. Personally, I'd be rid of it on most
trees and perhaps leave it on one or two that are more sheltered or about
which you're less concerned.

Another point to consider is that a tree without ivy will shade the
ground to some extent. A tree covered with ivy will normally be much
denser and bigger than the original tree and the shade will be deeper.
If you like gardening in dry shade then thats fine.

I grow reasonable clumps of ivy broomrape (orobanche hederae) on the
ivy growing on some of my trees. Its a root parasite of ivy.
You don't actually see anything until it flowers - when it looks like
some kind of orchid. Seed from Chiltern.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John McMillan" wrote in message
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

On 9/1/07 17:41, in article ,
"Eric L
Drever" wrote:

[...]

John that's going to cost me money Chiltern here I come. I've had a look at
the description and it sounds like it grows in the ground as tubers?
I assume from what you say that it can be treated as an epiphytic type
thing way up in the branches of an ivy clad tree.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"John McMillan" wrote in message
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

On 9/1/07 17:41, in article ,
"Eric L
Drever" wrote:

[...]

I think they only grow in the ground (on roots)? Pretty plants when the
flowers are fresh; odd looking inconspicuous things otherwise.
Nice talking point though. I always stop and have a look when I see them in
the wild.
A close relative is Lathraea which is bright pink when fresh (with no green
bits). One species is native I think (in Ireland anyway) but there is a
second that I have seen in the Dublin botanic gardens which I guess is
cultivated. I cannot remember what they grown on (they all grow in the
ground on roots of other things).

Des

Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| I grow reasonable clumps of ivy broomrape (orobanche hederae) on the
| ivy growing on some of my trees. Its a root parasite of ivy.
| You don't actually see anything until it flowers - when it looks like
| some kind of orchid. Seed from Chiltern.
|
| John that's going to cost me money Chiltern here I come. I've had a look
| at the description and it sounds like it grows in the ground as tubers?
| I assume from what you say that it can be treated as an epiphytic type
| thing way up in the branches of an ivy clad tree.

No, it's a root parasite. It builds tubers from what it takes from the
roots, and the flowers arise from those - according to CTW.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.