Old 15-01-2007, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worm casts

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote in message
I appreciate all the advice given, and have noted all the "watch its"
However it becomes the lesser of two evils. I have high worm casts at more
than one per square foot. If they are still there, and still wet when the
time comes to carry out my first mowing, I know from past experience that

my
rotary blades will deposit vast quantities of mud inside the covering -

not
good for the machine nor for my knees.
Alistair

If you set the blade higher on your lawn mower that will help. Don't know
how low you cut the lawn, if you scalp it every cut then yes worm casts will
be a problem. I have them in my lawn but since lifting to a higher setting
and mulching the grass they haven't been a hassle.

ron

Old 15-01-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/1/07 02:03, in article , "George.com"
wrote:

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote in message
I appreciate all the advice given, and have noted all the "watch its"
However it becomes the lesser of two evils. I have high worm casts at more
than one per square foot. If they are still there, and still wet when the
time comes to carry out my first mowing, I know from past experience that

my
rotary blades will deposit vast quantities of mud inside the covering -

not
good for the machine nor for my knees.
Alistair

If you set the blade higher on your lawn mower that will help. Don't know
how low you cut the lawn, if you scalp it every cut then yes worm casts will
be a problem. I have them in my lawn but since lifting to a higher setting
and mulching the grass they haven't been a hassle.

And I think,too, that while I appreciate Alistair wants a beautiful lawn, he
needs to know that a lawn without worms will become a stagnant boggy mess
over time. They really are essential to its health. So I repeat my
suggestion of encouraging wildlife into the garden by putting out bird food;
the birds will help to keep a more natural balance in the worm population!
The other day we had three cock pheasants on our lawn grubbing for goodness
knows what and the jackdaws help on another lawn with the daddy longlegs
larvae.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-01-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That's it then! The general consensus seems to be - stay with the worms, and
that is what I plan to do.
A point. Golf course greenkeepers have campaigned for years to have metal
spikes banned, or at least discouraged, on the course. They were damaging
the greens. They are succeeding. My golf club professional now, out of every
four pairs of golf shoes sold, three are with rubber "spikes".
Just thought I'd mention it!
Alistair

Old 15-01-2007, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A hardy annual, but much worse this year, hence the query. Oddly, my front
lawn is totally devoid of worm casts, and all three lawns receive exactly
the same care (or lack of it) Must remember to raise the blades next time.
However. I've learnt a lot.
Alistair

Old 16-01-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
How can I persuade worms to cast their casts in garden spots other than my
lawns?
Alistair

Alistair

You need to interfere with the organic matter the worms are feeding on
by making it un palatable.

More info here
http://www.landscapejuice.com/2007/0..._wor.html#more

Regards

Old 19-01-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A 6 monthly application of a systemic fungicide will deter casting worms
also removal of thatch will help and boxing of grass clipping.
Sorry Sasha u are wrong there are no advantages to having casting worms in
your root zone.
Other species of worms yes but casting worms are a nuisance especially on
fine turf area causing bumpiness and dead areas .
"Philip Voice" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macdonald View Post

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allotmentlady View Post

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.
Try being a bit more subtle with your spam.

worm casts ostio7078 Lawns 8 17-03-2005 06:05 PM
Worm casts Intuition United Kingdom 28 27-01-2005 10:21 PM
worm casts ostio7078 Lawns 0 17-11-2004 05:18 PM
worm casts ostio7078 Lawns 0 28-10-2004 06:10 PM
Worm Casts Ellen Grover United Kingdom 7 09-01-2003 08:47 AM