Old 22-01-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heating a greenhouse

Hi guys

I have insulated my greenhouse with UV bubblewrap, and have a parafin
greenhouse heater. I'm wondering if anyone else has this heating and
if it smells really strong?. Theres no smoke from the heater but a
strong whiff. Is this normal????

any comments appreciated.

thanks

Barbara

from
www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Old 22-01-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Be careful with those.

I wish I could insulate mine but I lost all the polycarbonate sheeting
during the recent storms.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.org.uk
oups.com...

Old 22-01-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Red
Tomato writes
Hi guys

I have insulated my greenhouse with UV bubblewrap, and have a parafin
greenhouse heater. I'm wondering if anyone else has this heating

Not anymore, but have had previously. Electric is so much nicer in many
ways.

and
if it smells really strong?. Theres no smoke from the heater but a
strong whiff. Is this normal????

Yep, pretty normal, paraffin is pretty smelly stuff.

You say you've insulated the GH, have you left adequate ventilation. The
heater of course need oxygen, but also produces lots of water vapour
which can make it very damp in their without enough ventilation.

--
Chris French

Old 23-01-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote in message
In message .com, Red
Tomato writes
Hi guys

I have insulated my greenhouse with UV bubblewrap, and have a parafin
greenhouse heater. I'm wondering if anyone else has this heating

Not anymore, but have had previously. Electric is so much nicer in many
ways.

and
if it smells really strong?. Theres no smoke from the heater but a
strong whiff. Is this normal????

Yep, pretty normal, paraffin is pretty smelly stuff.

You say you've insulated the GH, have you left adequate ventilation. The
heater of course need oxygen, but also produces lots of water vapour which
can make it very damp in their without enough ventilation.

--
Chris French

Also the vapour produced is heavier tham air so you must have adequate
ventilation otherwise the vapour will sink back down and could be re-ignited
by the heater flame!!!!!!! Result big bang and lots of shattered glass!!!!!

Clive in Kent