Old 30-01-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default peach in greenhouse

Four years ago I planted a peregrine peach in my 20ft greenhouse. Despite
its luxurious growth I have never had more than a couple of peaches each
summer. There is plenty of blossom but little fruit sets. I believe that the
variety is self fertile. The main stem is now about 65 mm diameter and
despite rigorous but appropriate pruning, it is just getting too big. I am
wondering whether to try to move it to a position outside or to continue to
try to control it by pruning. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Incidentally, a vine in the same greenhouse is vigorous too and fruits very
well. Perhaps it is just too warm.

Old 30-01-2007, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Justin Thyme wrote:
Four years ago I planted a peregrine peach in my 20ft greenhouse.
Despite its luxurious growth I have never had more than a couple of
peaches each summer. There is plenty of blossom but little fruit
sets. I believe that the variety is self fertile.

Peach blossom is generally too early for insect pollination, you therefore
have a sexually frustrated peach tree.

You need to indulge in a little sex therapy for the poor plant and tickle
its fancy with a soft brush!

ie when in bloom go round the flowers with a small brush spreading pollen
from blossom to blossom

pk

Old 30-01-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Justin Thyme" wrote
Four years ago I planted a peregrine peach in my 20ft greenhouse. Despite
its luxurious growth I have never had more than a couple of peaches each
summer. There is plenty of blossom but little fruit sets. I believe that
the variety is self fertile. The main stem is now about 65 mm diameter
and despite rigorous but appropriate pruning, it is just getting too big.
I am wondering whether to try to move it to a position outside or to
continue to try to control it by pruning. Any suggestions would be most
welcome. Incidentally, a vine in the same greenhouse is vigorous too and
fruits very well. Perhaps it is just too warm.

Self-fertile does not mean it can do it without insect pollinators, they are
still needed to transfer the pollen from the stamens to the stigma. With
peaches indoors, as others have said, you need to do it yourself with a soft
haired paintbrush (buy a new one and keep it for the job). It's a fiddly job
but just think of the fruit.
Self fertile simply means it can fertilise itself and that it doesn't need
another peach tree nearby for crosspollination.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Justin Thyme" wrote
[...]

I agree with the previous 2 replies. I have a Peregrine peach growing
out doors, here in sunny North Staffordshire, I pollinate it by hand, as
simple if slightly time consuming job. Last year I had more peaches than
we could eat!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:

I agree with the previous 2 replies.

Thanks. Will certainly persevere and use your advice.