Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raised beds

alan,

did you look through the site index? on the frontpage.

this is the first time ever that anyone has said they couldn't find
something on our site.

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:49:08 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Well it's not only Alan that is being thick because I can find no obvious
link:-)
Be a sweetie and give us the actual link.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snipped

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/builds.htm

Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:08:01 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Rob, where did u get your slepers from & how much ere they. I need 14
& hve found a couple of suppliers in my local area, but thy are quite
expensive.

.. I used garden sleepers
and made them either 300 or 400 mm high. That is a handy height for me but
still gives the option of building up again in future. It is more expensive
than using timber however I was under 'instructions' to landscape the area
which meant laying down pavers as well (now that is even more difficult to
get level than chairs in gravel). When building the beds consider what the
backing will be. If using timber you can simply whip up a 3 sided box. I was
putting some against a fence and didn't want to pay for twice the amount of
sleepers than necessary so I nailed various backings to the fence
(firboplank and clearlite roof sheeting) and built the beds out from there.
The soil and planting all but hides the fibro/clearlite sheets.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Rob, where did u get your slepers from & how much ere they. I need 14
& hve found a couple of suppliers in my local area, but thy are quite
expensive.

Where did I get them from? Likely 14,000 kms away from you Tina. A variety
of sources around Hamilton (New Zealand) including 2 jokers who mill timber
and a couple of garen centres who had stuff going cheap. I put in 6 gardens
around the place over different periods.

I paid around $15 nz for new 2.1 metres by 200mm by 100mm. These were
macrocapa or gum.
I paid around $7-8 nz for seconds at the same measurements.

If you find someone who mills timber on farms (mobile saw mill) and deal
direct with them you are likely to get a better price than garden centre.
Also check if they have seconds. They are not that much worse than firsts
provided they have 2-3 good faces they are fine for raised beds.

rob