Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Onion germination

Hi
well February is here and I'm excitedly planting seeds in heated
propagator(s).
I have onion sets well established on the allotment, but have also
planted some seeds (ailsa craig) in the propagator.
The shoots seem long and weedy to my (inexperienced) eye - and frankly
- I'm wondering what to do next - none of my books, magazines seem to
advise on this situation - if it is one!
I have opened up the vents on the propagator - do I just let them go
for now? plant out in March? My learning curve is mightily steep )
Little Weed

Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Feb, 19:55, Gill Matthews Try the wrote:
In article . com, says... Hi
well February is here and I'm excitedly planting seeds in heated
propagator(s).
I have onion sets well established on the allotment, but have also
planted some seeds (ailsa craig) in the propagator.
The shoots seem long and weedy to my (inexperienced) eye - and frankly
- I'm wondering what to do next - none of my books, magazines seem to
advise on this situation - if it is one!
I have opened up the vents on the propagator - do I just let them go
for now? plant out in March? My learning curve is mightily steep )
Little Weed

Are they getting enough light? is the propagator heated? I have found
onions to do best in the cool but with a lot of light. I generally plant out
mid March.

Gill M

Hi the propagator is heated - but our house probably has poor light
(in any window). I'll try them out of the propagator in the bathroom
window - thanks for your advice.
LW
)