Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Mimosa and Magnolias

Billowing masses of bright canary yellow from the Acacia trees
(Mimosa) planted around Torbay have been a familiar sight over the
past month or so and very cheering they are too. Most are Acacia
dealbata, which quickly develops into a sizeable tree only really
suited for larger gardens. It is widely planted along the French
Riviera, but does equally as well here along the south coast. On a
grey winter's day, they certainly help make up for absent sunshine.

Usually they start to show in late January reaching their peak by late
February, but this isn't a normal winter. For exotic, somewhat tender
trees such as these, early flowering due to mild weather is hardly
remarkable. However, in parts of the bay there are now big specimens
of Magnolia x soulangeana are showing lots of colour with the buds
breaking and the first flowers open and I've never seen them out this
early before. Now that is remarkable.

It has been extremely mild here so far with only a short interlude of
cold but virtually frost-free weather lasting barely 4 days. Apart
from wind and storm damage, many of the plants in my garden look as
fresh and green as they did in October. Many species Pelargoniums
haven't stopped flowering and and have made so much winter growth,
they'll have to be heavily pruned in a month's time. Pelargonium
cordatum in particular is now over head-high and just bursting into
its spring flush of flower. The very splendid P. acetosum; with its
blue-grey, gingko-like leaves and trailing growth smothered in large,
spidery coral-pink flowers has romped through, despite being in an
exposed basket.

Over the next few days we are due for another spate of cooler weather,
but it will have to be very cold over a prolonged period to prevent
this winter from being one of the mildest on record.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/2/07 07:48, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

[...]

That really is much further advanced than here, even though we're only -
what - 30 minutes away? However, there's a mimosa tree in Ashburton ccar
park which is always early but this year has surpassed itself. It's in a
walled garden on the edge of the car park and is a very mature tree. I
think it must be very sheltered but it is the most magnificent sight. Ours
at the bottom of the garden, is only just starting to show colour but it has
had bits lopped off it and been battered by all those horrible storms.

It has been extremely mild here so far with only a short interlude of
cold but virtually frost-free weather lasting barely 4 days. Apart
from wind and storm damage, many of the plants in my garden look as
fresh and green as they did in October. Many species Pelargoniums
haven't stopped flowering and and have made so much winter growth,
they'll have to be heavily pruned in a month's time. Pelargonium
cordatum in particular is now over head-high and just bursting into
its spring flush of flower. The very splendid P. acetosum; with its
blue-grey, gingko-like leaves and trailing growth smothered in large,
spidery coral-pink flowers has romped through, despite being in an
exposed basket.

One of ours in a tub against the house wall has kept going all winter but
it's particularly sheltered there. The rest all gave up long ago.

Over the next few days we are due for another spate of cooler weather,
but it will have to be very cold over a prolonged period to prevent
this winter from being one of the mildest on record.

I think they've already said it's the warmest January on record.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Feb, 07:48, "Dave Poole" wrote:
Billowing masses of bright canary yellow from the Acacia trees
(Mimosa)

(Snip)

It is widely planted along the French
Riviera, but does equally as well here along the south coast. On a
grey winter's day, they certainly help make up for absent sunshine.

They are my childhood scent ) Last week end in Bordeaux, in our
garden in Capeyron, they were all in flower, some more than others,
but sadly under a mass of frozen hard snow. (I built some sort of
igloo wiht the kids, just imagine).We've lost lots of branches from a
couple of trees (we've got 5). My aunt in Perigueux had to fell a red
cedar, est. at around 150 years old and well over 20 oaks trees for
fear of another harsh weather especially hight strong wind. I think
it's evident things are changing. I don't find it a terrible thing,
just that we really need to start adapting to this warmer and for us
in England, impredictable weather more than ever.

Over the next few days we are due for another spate of cooler weather,
but it will have to be very cold over a prolonged period to prevent
this winter from being one of the mildest on record.

It feels like my childhood in Bx - very mild autumn, sliping into
windy winter where we saw snow once in 1977. I've been ringing home
every sunday for years and for the last 3/4 years we have had a
similar weather. It's uncany.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson smith View Post
Mimosa is one of the best all-natural dyes that is more useful for tie dying clothing. This is one of the best ways to dye the shirts and clothing. It is completely natural without any harmful products. I have read your information that is given by you regarding the Mimosa. It is very useful.Thanks
But be aware that on this occasion they are talking about Acacia, probably A. dealbata, not any of the many other things commonly called mimosa. In the other thread you posted on, they were talking about Albizia julibrissin.

I really wish the word mimosa in the common sense could be banned, as it is really rather unhelpful.

3 D.D. Blanchard Magnolias for sale. j and d North Carolina 0 19-07-2005 08:32 PM
Blitzed Magnolias? Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 2 10-04-2005 12:27 AM
magnolias Ann United Kingdom 15 26-04-2004 03:04 PM
Wilting Camellias and Magnolias Han Chung Australia 26 01-03-2004 09:08 PM
Southern Magnolias Paul Gardening 3 24-03-2003 06:32 AM