Old 17-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Ophelia

Default compost

Would used cooking oil do anything bad to my beloved compst?

Old 17-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
Would used cooking oil do anything bad to my beloved compst?

Avoid it in wormeries! It needs plenty of air and water for the
bacteria to break it down, but that is all. If you can eat it,
you can compost it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:11:00 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Would used cooking oil do anything bad to my beloved compst?

If you just tipped it on in quantity it would probably suffocate the
compost. Mix it up thoroughly with the next batch of organic matter
before adding to the heap.

Old cooking oil can be used in flea beetle traps - a centimetre or so
of oil in a margarine tub placed among the brassicas will trap a
significant number of these persistent pests, and will carry on
working through a number of rainfalls.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 17-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Ophelia

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
Would used cooking oil do anything bad to my beloved compst?

Avoid it in wormeries! It needs plenty of air and water for the
bacteria to break it down, but that is all. If you can eat it,
you can compost it.

Thanks Nick that is great general advice

I don't need a wormery, my garden is heaving with the wee beauties Oh how
I wish I had a big garden.

Old 17-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

Would used cooking oil do anything bad to my beloved compst?

If you just tipped it on in quantity it would probably suffocate the
compost. Mix it up thoroughly with the next batch of organic matter
before adding to the heap.

Old cooking oil can be used in flea beetle traps - a centimetre or so
of oil in a margarine tub placed among the brassicas will trap a
significant number of these persistent pests, and will carry on
working through a number of rainfalls.

Many thanks Stephen. Oh I do love this group. Ask one question and you
learn loads)

Ophelia

Old 17-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Pete The Gardener

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:27:27 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

Old cooking oil can be used in flea beetle traps - a centimetre or so
of oil in a margarine tub placed among the brassicas will trap a
significant number of these persistent pests, and will carry on
working through a number of rainfalls.

Also, if you filter out the lumpy bits, you can run your diesel engine
on it, though you 'should' inform the authorities about it so that
they can charge tax on it.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 18-04-2003, 07:32 AM
William Tasso

wrote:

Old cooking oil can be used in flea beetle traps - a centimetre or so
of oil in a margarine tub placed among the brassicas will trap a
significant number of these persistent pests, and will carry on
working through a number of rainfalls.

Also, if you filter out the lumpy bits, you can run your diesel engine
on it, though you 'should' inform the authorities about it so that
they can charge tax on it.

Maybe save the 'lumpy bits' for the solid fuel greenhouse heater .

--
William Tasso

Old 18-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:34:15 +0100, "William Tasso"
wrote:

Maybe save the 'lumpy bits' for the solid fuel greenhouse heater .

Or for the next episode of 'Frost'.
Yum

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 18-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

Old cooking oil can be used in flea beetle traps - a centimetre or so
of oil in a margarine tub placed among the brassicas will trap a
significant number of these persistent pests, and will carry on
working through a number of rainfalls.

Also, if you filter out the lumpy bits, you can run your diesel engine
on it, though you 'should' inform the authorities about it so that
they can charge tax on it.

Our VW is diesel Are you saying we could run it on my old cooking oil? Hm
I think it might stink the street out a little?

Old 18-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:22:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Our VW is diesel Are you saying we could run it on my old cooking oil? Hm
I think it might stink the street out a little?

You mean more than it already does?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 18-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

Our VW is diesel Are you saying we could run it on my old cooking oil?

Hm
I think it might stink the street out a little?

You mean more than it already does?

Regards,

Well it hasn't yet. Mind you it is new so maybe it is being kept under
control

Old 18-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:36:53 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Our VW is diesel Are you saying we could run it on my old cooking oil?

Hm
I think it might stink the street out a little?

You mean more than it already does?

Regards,

Well it hasn't yet. Mind you it is new so maybe it is being kept under
control

Ooh, I hope so.

On my way to work I cycle past a large formal garden that houses a
large collection of Azaleas, and about this time of year they start
coming into bloom.

The scent from the collected blooms is stunning - so much so that I'll
often turn round and ride back down the few hundred yards stretch just
to cop another niff.

But what really miffs me is when I'm a little late of a morning and I
catch the school run brigade in their diesel 'off-roaders', chucking
out rotten old diesel fumes that seem to linger on the air and persist
in the nostrils.

I don't dispute that any vehicle fumes are bad for the jolly old
environment, but diesel just seems to add insult to injury by ponging
so disagreeably.

.... and the cows agree with me!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 18-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

[...]

I can sympathise with that. We got this one because we have just bought a
very wee caraven and it is cheaper to pull. We are in Moffat this weekend
and I am having a good look around the garden centres but the plants are
awfully expensive!

ps .. yes we are very aware of any hold ups behind us and we always stop to
allow them to pass

Old 18-04-2003, 10:32 PM
swroot

Ophelia wrote:

"Pete The Gardener" wrote in message

[-]

Also, if you filter out the lumpy bits, you can run your diesel engine
on it, though you 'should' inform the authorities about it so that
they can charge tax on it.

Our VW is diesel Are you saying we could run it on my old cooking oil? Hm
I think it might stink the street out a little?

You certainly can use it with some additive, but I can't remember what
it is.

uk.business.agriculture knows, though... it's just over there --

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 18-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:03:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I can sympathise with that. We got this one because we have just bought a
very wee caraven and it is cheaper to pull. We are in Moffat this weekend
and I am having a good look around the garden centres but the plants are
awfully expensive!

ps .. yes we are very aware of any hold ups behind us and we always stop to
allow them to pass

Moffat... the Scottish Moffat??
If so, you must procure, beg, borrow or steal a bag of Moffat toffees!
If you don't like 'em... send 'em to me!!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk