Old 17-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Pam Moore

Default Effects of hot weather?

I have had blackbirds nesting in a shrub in my garden for several
years. The female has often removed the moss from my bonsai pots and
made a bit of a mess but I allow that. The last couple of days
however she has been "digging" in pots of newly sown seed, (sweet pea,
verbena bonariensis - the GW free seed!) and other pots of loose
soil. I have no greenhouse. To cap it all, this morning I admired a
good 3 inch shoot on a seedling delphinium, up on the bonsai shelf,
and now the shoot has totally gone; no sign of life at all, and soil
everywhere!
Is it the fact that the ground is dry and hard and the birds cannot
dig in it? I can think of no other reason.
How can we help the birds while it is so unseasonably warm?
(But not for long they say!)

Pam in Bristol
pamdotmooreatvirgindotnet
Old 17-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

To cap it all, this morning I admired a
good 3 inch shoot on a seedling delphinium, up on the bonsai shelf,
and now the shoot has totally gone; no sign of life at all, and soil
everywhere!

Same here but with a small Linum seedling we had been given
by a friend. Also seem to be trying anything in a tub, trough or pot
that looks remotely useful for nest building. Rather more than annoying
since we have plenty of moss in the lawn. ;(

Is it the fact that the ground is dry and hard and the birds cannot
dig in it? I can think of no other reason.

... or is it peculiar to Bristol???

Jennifer - in Bristol

Old 19-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Pam Moore
writes
I have had blackbirds nesting in a shrub in my garden for several
years. The female has often removed the moss from my bonsai pots and
made a bit of a mess but I allow that. The last couple of days
however she has been "digging" in pots of newly sown seed, (sweet pea,
verbena bonariensis - the GW free seed!) and other pots of loose
soil. I have no greenhouse. To cap it all, this morning I admired a
good 3 inch shoot on a seedling delphinium, up on the bonsai shelf,
and now the shoot has totally gone; no sign of life at all, and soil
everywhere!
Is it the fact that the ground is dry and hard and the birds cannot
dig in it? I can think of no other reason.
How can we help the birds while it is so unseasonably warm?
(But not for long they say!)

Put a tray of mud out and water it daily?

I keep losing a couple of cyclamen coum. They pull on the seed head,
then decide they don't want the corm and drop everything. I've had to
bury them under leaves.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Jalapenos don't get hot if weather is not hot? Ook Gardening 2 27-08-2007 05:12 AM