Old 18-04-2003, 02:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default West facing border

Hi,

I have a south facing garden the traditional oblong shape.
The west facing border is beside a 6 foot wooden fence, shaded by a Victoria
plum tree to the east of it, and not in particularly well fed condition.
At the moment the main crops are ground elder and nettles, and I have the
lumpy nettle stings to prove it :-(
I intend to feed it up a bit by getting some well rotted stable manure -
loads of stables around here - to top dress and fork in a.s.a.p.
What I would like to do is plant some flowering plants which will give a
nice colourful summery look to the whole border.
I would prefer something available now or soon in garden centres as I am
busy at the moment and planting and growing on seeds is probably not an
option.
I would like some tall plants by the fence, and some smaller plants near the
grass.
The border in about 4-6 feet in width (from fence to grass).
Obviously need something which will not get upset by recent feeding.
Soil is on sandy substrate with some chalk - edge of the London basin -
fortunately we are not on clay which also occurs in the neighbourhood (not
for gardening, just for depth of foundations and subsidence).

Suggestions gratefully received.

TIA

Dave R