Old 22-02-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Opium poppies in Britain

Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would grow
*and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an interesting
article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-02-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not. However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a
link to an interesting article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

Papaver Somniferum grows wonderfully here in the UK. A nice cup of poppy pod
tea on a summers evening makes gardening aches and pains fizzle away too!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 22-02-2007, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would grow
*and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that they would
not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an interesting
article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most familiar
with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium pipe out from
under the stairs for.

Des

Old 22-02-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/2/07 22:07, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would grow
*and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that they would
not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an interesting
article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most familiar
with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium pipe out from
under the stairs for.

My old granny would have been most indignant at the very suggestion she had
an opium pipe! A nice brass toasting fork, now......

Old 22-02-2007, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Feb, 20:34, "Les Hemmings"
wrote:
Papaver Somniferum grows wonderfully here in the UK. A nice cup of poppy pod
tea on a summers evening makes gardening aches and pains fizzle away too!

In the mid 80s there were some lovely Tea Parties organised around
Manchester and amongst rubus, urtica and bergamia teas there was
papaver tea ;o)

Old 22-02-2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/2/07 23:28, in article ,
"jane" wrote:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:44:29 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~On 22/2/07 22:07, in article , "Des
~Higgins" wrote:
~
~
~ "Sacha" wrote in message
~ . uk...
~ Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would grow
~ *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that they would
~ not.
~ However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an interesting
~ article:
http://tinyurl.com/36htzv
~
~ That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most familiar
~ with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium pipe out from
~ under the stairs for.
~
~My old granny would have been most indignant at the very suggestion she had
~an opium pipe! A nice brass toasting fork, now......

As an addendum to this thread, you can test positive for opiates if
you eat poppy seed cake or seed-encrusted rolls!

http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/lawn-c...-test-goldfing
er/episode/285544/summary.html

I'm a lost cause - I love them. What do sesame seeds say about us?!

Old 23-02-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

~On 22/2/07 22:07, in article , "Des~Higgins" wrote:

~
~~ "Sacha" wrote in message

o.uk...
~ Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would grow
~ *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that they would
~ not.
~ However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an interesting
~ article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv
~
~ That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most familiar
~ with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium pipe out from
~ under the stairs for.
~
~My old granny would have been most indignant at the very suggestion she had
~an opium pipe! A nice brass toasting fork, now......

As an addendum to this thread, you can test positive for opiates if
you eat poppy seed cake or seed-encrusted rolls!

http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/lawn-c...seed-drug-test...

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

Whoops! I have just come home from having dinner out, I had two very
small rolls with dinner, a salt encrusted one and poppy seeds, good
job, I wasn't stopped on the way home.

Judith at home

Old 23-02-2007, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/07 00:01, in article
,
" wrote:

On 22 Feb, 23:28, jane wrote:

snip

As an addendum to this thread, you can test positive for opiates if
you eat poppy seed cake or seed-encrusted rolls!

http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/lawn-c...seed-drug-test...

jane

Whoops! I have just come home from having dinner out, I had two very
small rolls with dinner, a salt encrusted one and poppy seeds, good
job, I wasn't stopped on the way home.

But you'll sleep well. ;-))

Old 23-02-2007, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an
interesting article: http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most
familiar with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium
pipe out from under the stairs for.

Des

http://www.poppies.org/faq/poppy-tea/

Les

Old 23-02-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/07 07:47, in article , "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an
interesting article:
http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most
familiar with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium
pipe out from under the stairs for.

Des

http://www.poppies.org/faq/poppy-tea/

Les

Very revealing! Now I'm wondering what was the seed cake our grannies used
to make?

Old 23-02-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Whoops! I have just come home from having dinner out, I had two very
small rolls with dinner, a salt encrusted one and poppy seeds, good
job, I wasn't stopped on the way home.

-----
I'm shopping at Sainsbury's this morning where, at the end of the day, they
are left with more rolls smothered with poppy seeds than sesame seeds.
Obviously most Sainsbury's customers are not aware of the narcotic effects
of poppy seeds, or they're very law abiding.

MikeCT

Old 23-02-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message news:38yDh.19209.
-----
I'm shopping at Sainsbury's this morning where, at the end of the day,
they
are left with more rolls smothered with poppy seeds than sesame seeds.
Obviously most Sainsbury's customers are not aware of the narcotic effects
of poppy seeds, or they're very law abiding.

MikeCT

Seeds and young leaves contain no active alkaloids. Pods only and a little
in the stems near pods perhaps. The baby plants are not too bad as a salad
crop and poppy stems, leaves have been used as cattle fodder too.

Les

Old 23-02-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/07 15:43, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:46:44 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/2/07 07:47, in article
, "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an
interesting article:
http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most
familiar with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium
pipe out from under the stairs for.

Des

http://www.poppies.org/faq/poppy-tea/

Les

Very revealing! Now I'm wondering what was the seed cake our grannies used
to make?

Caraway seed cake?
http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/carawayseedcake.html

That's it - definitely not a taste I acquired.

Old 23-02-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/07 23:18, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:47:56 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/2/07 15:43, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:46:44 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/2/07 07:47, in article
, "Les
Hemmings" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Some time ago we had a discussion about whether or not these would
grow *and* ripen in Britain. AFAIR, the general opinion was that
they would not.
However, on the uk.food group, someone has posted a link to an
interesting article:
http://tinyurl.com/36htzv

That is fascinating. AFAIK, the decorative ones that we are most
familiar with, do not produce much worth getting your grannies opium
pipe out from under the stairs for.

Des

http://www.poppies.org/faq/poppy-tea/

Les

Very revealing! Now I'm wondering what was the seed cake our grannies used
to make?

Caraway seed cake?
http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/carawayseedcake.html

That's it - definitely not a taste I acquired.

For some reason I thought caraway and cummin were one and the same, until I
looked them up. Both allegedly cure flatulence

Good heavens. Perhaps a packet of each should arrive with every new
computer? ;-)

http://www.spice-nutriment.co.uk/aboutourcooking.htm
Leidse kaas/Leiden cheese has cummin in it.