Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden Birds

"K" wrote
Sue writes
I was thinking only last week that this winter we've had far fewer
birds come to the feeders and birdtable. Whether that's because the
weather's been mild enough that they've had plenty of natural food
around I don't know.

BTO were predicting earlier that we'd get fewer birds at garden
feeders this winter for that very reason

It's good to know they're probably still all out there somewhere. I miss
seeing the great spotted woodpecker the most. Last winter we had one
come regularly to the peanut feeder, but hardly seen it this year. The
green ones have still been aerating the lawn now and then.

--
Sue

Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/3/07 19:22, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"K" wrote
Sue writes
I was thinking only last week that this winter we've had far fewer
birds come to the feeders and birdtable. Whether that's because the
weather's been mild enough that they've had plenty of natural food
around I don't know.

BTO were predicting earlier that we'd get fewer birds at garden
feeders this winter for that very reason

It's good to know they're probably still all out there somewhere. I miss
seeing the great spotted woodpecker the most. Last winter we had one
come regularly to the peanut feeder, but hardly seen it this year. The
green ones have still been aerating the lawn now and then.

We have a woodpecker very close to us. I'm not sure which it is greater or
lesser spotted because we rarely see it. It seems to be working like a
demon on some tree or other nearby and it's ratatat is to be heard
frequently.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-03-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Mar, 20:49, Sacha wrote:
On 4/3/07 19:22, in article
, "Sue"

wrote:

[...]

Last summer we were treated to the whole family of greater spoted wood
peckers feeding at the same time, both adults and 2 youngsters at the
same time on all 4 feeders, a great sight.
Regarding the long tailed tits, they started as a flock of around 12,
5 summers ago, and were around for about 4 weeks in late summer, then
the next year they were around from mid summer till into November now
they are with us all year round, well with a break of around 6 to 8
weeks when they are nesting , though last year we still had 2 coming
at times to feed, I think they are the best bird we get, and I cant
get over how fearless they are.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 4, 9:24 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I think they are the best bird we get, and I cant
get over how fearless they are.

I can't tell one bird from another. Last Summer there was a dear
little bird, outside the study window, next to the wall, that had laid
eggs behind the geraniums but not in a nest. She would move when I
took a little peek and I was very concerned about her as she never
left the nest, for days it seemed.

One day I was so worried, the sun was beating down, so I put a
ramikin, a tiny one, next to her head and still she would not drink,
so I gently put her beak into it. I did this several times over the
next few days and she let me each time. I put up a small shelter for
her to keep the sun off her and put lots of plant pots in front of it
to keep out cats. I was hoping that they would hatch out before I
left for my holiday but they didn't. When I returned there were
eggshells, ramikin dish and 1 dead bald baby bird.

Is there a bird that lays eggs on the ground?

Judith

Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Message from "
on Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:40:39 Garden Birds:

[...]

It's unusual that the bird would let you handle it. I'm surprised it
didn't abandon the nest.

Can you give a description of the bird? Size, colouring and any other
features?