Old 21-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Dave Liquorice

Default Protecting undergound electrical cabling?

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 23:52:28 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

OP said 24v ie low voltage and thus high amperage for the same
power. High amps means lots of copper, means bigger cable.

Except that a pump will be very low power.

Not many amps!

One of the Hoselock 24v jobbies is 30W so thats 1.25A if your trying
to get anything ressembling 24v at the far end of say 10m of cable at
that current you need a reasonable amount of copper in the cable.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 21-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:16:27 +0100, Sarah Dale wrote:

Possibly Dave, Warick is questioning your definition of the voltages
- as I also did. The ususal bands are (IIRC!):

LV is usually defined as ...

Tried to find this info on the web but failed dismally. Including the
IEE site. Lots of use of the terms but nothing defining them.

Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Paul Hutchings

Paul Hutchings wrote in
. 1.4:

What would people suggest as a cheap way to afford a bit of protection
to some low votage (24v) electrical cable running between a shed and a
pond pump?

Basically we're talking protection from the elements and from
rodents/anything else that might nibble at it..

Hosepipe seems the obvious choice, but the local Focus and builders
merchants don't seem to have anything other than "normal" garden hose,
which isn't wide enough..

regards
Paul

Well it seemed a fairly simple question at the time (or so I thought).

I ended up getting some cheap thick diameter flexible plastic tubing - it's
only got to survive the odd spade strike and it'll probably be run along
the surface rather than underground so I'm sure it'll suffice.

Thanks all.

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net