Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Heratage Pea seed

I have been growing Epicure for a few years now, a lovely pea, crops
over quite a time and I have had it up to 7ft.
Does anyone else grow any heratage peas or other Veg?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 03-03-2007, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
I have been growing Epicure for a few years now, a lovely pea, crops
over quite a time and I have had it up to 7ft.
Does anyone else grow any heratage peas or other Veg?

We used to grow "Time out of Mind", "Ne plus ultra" as well as "Alderman"
and others but with this area becoming more dry/hot each summer we started
to find they stopped cropping and started to die before they grew tall
enough. So we have given up with them and now only plant early short peas
like "Feltham First" and "Early Onward" that will have cropped before the
summer sets in.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 03-03-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 3 Mar, 17:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote

I have been growing Epicure for a few years now, a lovely pea, crops
over quite a time and I have had it up to 7ft.
Does anyone else grow any heratage peas or other Veg?

We used to grow "Time out of Mind", "Ne plus ultra" as well as "Alderman"
and others but with this area becoming more dry/hot each summer we started
to find they stopped cropping and started to die before they grew tall
enough. So we have given up with them and now only plant early short peas
like "Feltham First" and "Early Onward" that will have cropped before the
summer sets in.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I'm still growing 'Alderman' pea but we get a lot more rain than you
do, and the monsoon doesn't start here 'til late July/early August.
Also 'Caseknife' climbing french bean - one of those big flat podded
almost stringless CFBs, somebody gave me seeds some years ago and I've
always made a point of growing some in relative isoation to maintain
the stock. BTW if you want a nice early pea, have you tried 'Spring'?
a modern variety - not sure if it's exclusive to Marshalls. It is a
wrinkled seeded variety and gives us really good quality crops.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Mar, 16:32, "Dave Hill" wrote:
I have been growing Epicure for a few years now, a lovely pea, crops
over quite a time and I have had it up to 7ft.
Does anyone else grow any heratage peas or other Veg?

I've grown Serpette d'Auvergne, Caractacus, Express à longue cosse,
Sénateur, Roi des halles ... this year I'm doing ambassadeur. For
leeks I'm doing Monstrueux de Carentan, like my grand dad used to do.
And it's 'heritage' ;o)

Old 03-03-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 3 Mar, 18:36, "Rod" wrote:
[...]

I would question your comment about having more rain than us.
We have been having around 80 inches a year for the last 6 years now,
ans since Xmas we have had just short of 20, (Twenty) inches of rain.
(Anyone want to but some mud?}
Havn't grow Alderman for many years.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-03-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 3 Mar, 19:07, "Dave Hill" wrote:
On 3 Mar, 18:36, "Rod" wrote:

[...]

Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

Sorry David, I was aiming that remark about rain at Bob but I didn't
make that clear. I know you've had a helluva lot of rain down there
the last few years. We're just in the rainshadow of Snowdonia here so
we average around 36 inches a year.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote
I have been growing Epicure for a few years now, a lovely pea, crops
over quite a time and I have had it up to 7ft.
Does anyone else grow any heratage peas or other Veg?

We used to grow "Time out of Mind", "Ne plus ultra" as well as "Alderman"
and others but with this area becoming more dry/hot each summer we started
to find they stopped cropping and started to die before they grew tall
enough. So we have given up with them and now only plant early short peas
like "Feltham First" and "Early Onward" that will have cropped before the
summer sets in.

I grew trail of tears beans but they were terrible, not surprised the
poor Indians starved if they lived on those. Plus several tomatoes but
again they just weren't worth it. One was "Broad yellow ripple currant"
- I liked the name
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
Growing peas and quality of pea seed michael United Kingdom 1 24-04-2008 12:59 PM
Where to buy bulk Sweet Pea seed? Apex_off_Davis North Carolina 0 24-02-2004 07:07 PM
Where to buy bulk Sweet Pea seed? Apex_off_Davis North Carolina 0 24-02-2004 07:00 PM
snap pea seed poking out of the dirt?? DigitalVinyl Edible Gardening 10 17-05-2003 09:56 PM