Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rambling rose

That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

Old 05-03-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Phil" writes:

| Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
| looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
| to prune it at all?

Only in self-defence.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

Roses aren't my big thing but it might help if you can give a name to the
plant. There has always been some confusion about the terminology rambling
and climbing rose and the pruning technique is different for each.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Mar, 14:49, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message

... That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

Roses aren't my big thing but it might help if you can give a name to the
plant. There has always been some confusion about the terminology rambling
and climbing rose and the pruning technique is different for each.

I was always taught that with a rambling rose you cut out the old
stems once they have flowered and tie in the new, the same as you do
with Blackberries and loganberries.
With a climber you cut back the new growth and the old flower
stems.with the aim of building a framework.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message om, Dave
Hill writes
"Phil" wrote in message

... That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

Roses aren't my big thing but it might help if you can give a name to the
plant. There has always been some confusion about the terminology rambling
and climbing rose and the pruning technique is different for each.

I was always taught that with a rambling rose you cut out the old
stems once they have flowered and tie in the new, the same as you do
with Blackberries and loganberries.
With a climber you cut back the new growth and the old flower
stems.with the aim of building a framework.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Because of problems beyond our control (an autumn and winter I wouldn't
like to live through again) neither our New Dawn nor Alberic Barbier
have been pruned for a while and are now a fairly dreadful mess. Would
it be ok to chop them back hard now? Even if we have to do without
flowers this year, I don't suppose it's good to let them get even more
overgrown and tangled?

Thanks!
Klara

Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil" wrote in message
That's a song isn't it?

Help. I planted a rambling rose last year. Never had one before. Gosh, it
looks just about ready to burst into life.....but I'm wondering. Do I need
to prune it at all?

Phil

If it is a rambler they don't need pruning but if you have to (as nick says
"self defence"!) do it after flowering when the flowered stems can be
removed and newer growth tied in to replace them.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message om, Dave
Hill writes
"Phil" wrote in message

[...]

Do it at the end of July

Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes
Because of problems beyond our control (an autumn and winter I wouldn't
like to live through again) neither our New Dawn nor Alberic Barbier
have been pruned for a while and are now a fairly dreadful mess. Would
it be ok to chop them back hard now? Even if we have to do without
flowers this year, I don't suppose it's good to let them get even more
overgrown and tangled?

Thanks!
Klara
--

Do it at the end of July

Thanks, Charlie - bit of a breather until then, then...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin