Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default black iris

Someone recently mentioned the observation of feral black irises growing
in the southwest. I mentioned this to the local Iris breeder when I met
him on the allotment site this morning, and his immediate reaction was
that they would be Iris chrysographes Black Form.

I also noticed black water iris (Louisiana iris) for sale in a local
garden centre a few days back. Said Iris breeder says that these don't
persist in Britain.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Stewart
It was me that made the request

Can you furnish the the name and number of said nursery

Also could you ask your freind whether these, risolm or bulb

........................Leslie

Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Mar, 20:48, "Leslie" wrote:
It was me that made the request
Can you furnish the the name and number of said nursery
Also could you ask your freind whether these, risolm or bulb

Iris chrysographes (one is Louisiana) can be found the

http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk...3/1?RA=tiscali
http://www.beechesnursery.co.uk/

When I went to the Chelsea flower show in 2005 the Balck Plant Society
had a stand there and it coincided with the new black hyacinth
'Mystic'. Maybe you could give Karen Platt a ring or email. I have on
my 'to do' list to design a garden with back plants, though it will be
a small garden ;o)

http://www.blackplants.co.uk/about/

Old 07-03-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Leslie
writes
Hello Stewart
It was me that made the request

Can you furnish the the name and number of said nursery

Slight problem - I didn't mention any nursery.

You can find plenty of information on Iris chrysographes on the web if
you want to compare it with the plants you saw. (It's not immediately
clear whether it's bulbous, tuberous, rhizomatous, or what - the T&M
catalog described it as a bulb, whereas WikiPedia lists it among a group
of non-bulbous Irises.)

For suppliers either refer ti PlantFinder
(http://www.rhs.org.uk/plantfinder) or google Iris chrysographes
site:uk.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Mar, 20:48, "Leslie" wrote:
Can you furnish the the name and number of said nursery

I fell upon an insert in our newspaper last night, the first Thomson
and Morgan newsletter (with articles from Chris Bradshaw, Pippa, Bob
ect) and it was so so tempting! They have a fantastic deal for the
black iris chrysographes, 3 bulbs + 1 free for 10.99. There's a
promotional code, which I don't have here, but if you're interested I
could give it to you.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

You can find plenty of information on Iris chrysographes on the web if
you want to compare it with the plants you saw. (It's not immediately
clear whether it's bulbous, tuberous, rhizomatous, or what - the T&M
catalog described it as a bulb, whereas WikiPedia lists it among a
group of non-bulbous Irises.)

It's rhizomatous, used to belong to the Sibirica group, habitat would be
wet spring and autumn, damp summer, dormant winter. Transplant now
(there should be green shoots visible) or early autumn.
Unlike I louisiana it's not a water iris: the seeds don't float.

--
Sue ]