Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default the planting season for medicinal herbs

gentlegreen wrote:
"hugh_j" wildpoppy@invalid wrote in message
gentlegreen wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:21:20 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

hugh_j wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term
lobbying
by the drug companies. They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis
market towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome
profit from it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the

growing
of other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.
Martin wrote: "Rubbish"
Well I'm disappointed so far that all this group could muster was a
heckler.
A good point troll grade 5

PLONK!
Not a bad idea IMHO to garner support from gardeners.

Exactly!
Cannabis would be a handy way to grow a quick screen.
(it was certainly in gardening books back in the 30s)

I'm stumbling around looking for an old gardening book with the cover
missing salvaged from Uncle Fred's house (post-Fred) but I can't find
it. I remember a line that said "makes a fine summer screen." I always
felt it should have read "Makes a fine summer. (Screen!)".
There's a Bulgarian who's bred a new ornamental variety .
(not worth smoking unfortunately)

I am off to investigate the Bulgarian. Thanks very much.

It's called "Panorama"

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/n...ges/hemp43.jpg

I was comparing my original post to the one from the fellow advocating
vegetarianism. I see you have a tolerant attitude to the earnest advocate.
I wonder why there is no constancy from moment to moment. Something
written in perfect sincerity seems to be ridiculous viewed from a
distance. It makes you wonder whether it's worth bothering. Probably it
isn't so it's better to get out there digging in stony silence.
That's a good article you pointed out. It covers everything. Ta.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 AM posted to uk.politics.drugs,uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in your
garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying by the
drug companies.

Rubbish. They've done no such thing.

They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis market
towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome profit from
it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing of
other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

I can buy opium poppy seeds in my local supermarket, so that's rubbish as
well.

I can see them making the sale of cannabis seeds illegal. It would mean a
change in the law as the seeds contain no cannabinoids at all.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.

--
Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 AM posted to uk.politics.drugs,uk.rec.gardening

Phil Stovell wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in your
garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying by the
drug companies.

Rubbish. They've done no such thing.

Opinion noted. It doesn't happen in the media. I would also add in the
brewers and the distillers to that statement. You know it makes sense.

They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis market
towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome profit from
it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing of
other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

I can buy opium poppy seeds in my local supermarket, so that's rubbish as
well.

Ephedra distachya, catha edulis, both in line for the chop. The recent
targeting of health food additives and Chinese medicine shops The poppy
seed question is an interesting anomoly. I refer you he
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-284.html
specifically the lines:

Hemp has at times in the past been grown simply for its ornamental
value. The short, strongly-branched cultivar ‘Panorama’ (Fig. 43) bred
by Iván Bósca, the dean of the world’s living hemp breeders, was
commercialized in Hungary in the 1980s, and has been said to be the only
ornamental hemp cultivar available. It has had limited success, of
course, because there are very few circumstances that permit private
gardeners can grow Cannabis as an ornamental today. By contrast,
beautiful ornamental cultivars of opium poppy are widely cultivated in
home gardens across North America, despite their absolute illegality and
the potentially draconian penalties that could be imposed. Doubtless in
the unlikely event that it became possible, many would grow hemp as an
ornamental.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.politics.drugs,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:05:28 +0000, hugh_j wrote:

Opinion noted. It doesn't happen in the media. I would also add in the
brewers and the distillers to that statement. You know it makes sense.

I'll be brewing 40 pints of Muntons Gold Old English Bitter tomorrow. I'll
keep an eye out for the drug squad busting down my door, after they've
finished with another sick elderly lady.

--
Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.drugs

In article , hugh_j
writes

Meanwhile in America, Home of the Free, it is a criminal offence to
possess a cannabis seed. Imagine that!.

Good grief and I thought it was occasionally possible to grow the plant
via a dispersed seed from your bird food that you scatter?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.drugs

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , hugh_j
writes

Meanwhile in America, Home of the Free, it is a criminal offence to
possess a cannabis seed. Imagine that!.

Good grief and I thought it was occasionally possible to grow the plant
via a dispersed seed from your bird food that you scatter?

In the US of A, the birds have to suffer denatured hemp seed.

It was banned in food for a long time as the DEA feared it would affect the
drug testing and asset - seizure industries.