Old 08-03-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.politics.drugs,uk.rec.gardening

Default the planting season for medicinal herbs

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies. They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis
market towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome
profit from it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing
of other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.

Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 PM posted to uk.politics.drugs,uk.rec.gardening

hugh_j wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies. They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis
market towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome
profit from it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing
of other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.

Martin wrote: "Rubbish"

Well I'm disappointed so far that all this group could muster was a
heckler. I suppose you're still out in the garden on this fine Spring day.
In my garden the last chap laid some concrete path to cover up his
building rubble, as they did in those days. So I am lifting the path and
the rubble and wheel-barrowing it all out to the front ready for what I
don't know. But nowadays I cannot do this all day so have come back here
to see what has been said. And this is what I find. Is this
representative I wonder?
I'll come back tonight to receive possible further abuse.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Mar, 12:58, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
Martin wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.

Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.

As I understand it, it is ok to grow cannabis, but not ok to harvest,
dry, sell it and consume it. As for the other 'medicinal herbs', just
think about what you have said. Can you seriously immagine us being
stopped to grow hundreds upon hundreds of plants - because that's how
many there is with medicinal properties. And if I'm stop from growing
lavender, because beleive me I need it to keep me calm around here, I
wouldn't imagine to be the only gardener objecting ;o)

Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 12:58 pm, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.

Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.

Good newsgroups don't generally give trolls much mileage.

Cat(h)

Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

ups.com...
Martin wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.
Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.

As I understand it, it is ok to grow cannabis, but not ok to harvest,
dry, sell it and consume it.

Wrong!
For supply, dealing, production **(including cultivation)** and trafficking the
maximum penalty is 14 years imprisonment.
Best you go do some research before posting "advice"

Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.

Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.

Good newsgroups don't generally give trolls much mileage.

My mistake and apologies.
--

Martin

You owe me no apology. My comment was addressed to hugh, who clearly
is not here posting about gardening.

Cat(h)

Old 08-03-2007, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Mar, 13:45, "Liz" wrote:
As I understand it, it is ok to grow cannabis, but not ok to harvest,
dry, sell it and consume it.

Wrong!
For supply, dealing, production **(including cultivation)** and trafficking

I said 'growing' it, no supply, dealing (which is the same) as well as
trafficking.

Best you go do some research before posting "advice"

This wasn't an 'advice' this was a fact.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.politics.drugs

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.
Rubbish!
Not much of a counter-argument there.

Good newsgroups don't generally give trolls much mileage.

My mistake and apologies.

I don't know why you're apologising to him. He's just rude.
I would add the brewers and distillers to that earlier statement.

lavender I don't suppose they have that in their sights. Catha
edulis, possibly. Ephedra distachya possibly. They are keen to legislate
against health food shops. Meanwhile in America, Home of the Free, it is
a criminal offence to possess a cannabis seed. Imagine that!.

Anyway, it is a valid argument and it does concern you, but perhaps not
quite yet. It depends on whether you consider your back garden to be a
sanctuary. How would you feel if a dozen policemen charged in to inspect
your shrubbery? Probably you're claiming I'm alright Jack.

And trolling, if a suspected troll sticks around, they cease to be a
troll. I'll argue it out with any of you, including netcops but a bit of
politeness wouldn't go amiss.

Also Martin keeps tinkering with the headers which suggests to me that
he is a meddler. I'm sure he's a nice chap apart from that.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:21:20 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

hugh_j wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term

lobbying
by the drug companies. They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis
market towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome
profit from it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing
of other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.

Martin wrote: "Rubbish"

Well I'm disappointed so far that all this group could muster was a
heckler.

A good point troll grade 5

PLONK!

Not a bad idea IMHO to garner support from gardeners.

Cannabis would be a handy way to grow a quick screen.
(it was certainly in gardening books back in the 30s)

There's a Bulgarian who's bred a new ornamental variety .
(not worth smoking unfortunately)

Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh_j wrote:
As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term

lobbying
by the drug companies. They now aim to channel the medicinal cannabis
market towards the commercial product Sativex, and to make a handsome
profit from it.

If this venture succeeds, it will only be a matter of time before the
pharmaceutical industry uses it's lobby to seek to prohibit the growing
of other medicinal herbs, and, if they can, the sale of seed.

It might be a good idea to lay some in now.
Martin wrote: "Rubbish"
Well I'm disappointed so far that all this group could muster was a
heckler.

A good point troll grade 5

PLONK!

Not a bad idea IMHO to garner support from gardeners.

Exactly!

Cannabis would be a handy way to grow a quick screen.
(it was certainly in gardening books back in the 30s)

I'm stumbling around looking for an old gardening book with the cover
missing salvaged from Uncle Fred's house (post-Fred) but I can't find
it. I remember a line that said "makes a fine summer screen." I always
felt it should have read "Makes a fine summer. (Screen!)".

There's a Bulgarian who's bred a new ornamental variety .
(not worth smoking unfortunately)

I am off to investigate the Bulgarian. Thanks very much.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Liz Liz is offline

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 8 Mar, 13:45, "Liz" wrote:
As I understand it, it is ok to grow cannabis, but not ok to harvest,
dry, sell it and consume it.

Wrong!
For supply, dealing, production **(including cultivation)** and trafficking

I said 'growing' it, no supply, dealing (which is the same) as well as
trafficking.

Best you go do some research before posting "advice"

This wasn't an 'advice' this was a fact.

Maybe your type of "fact" but that doesn't make it a fact.
If you are found "growing" (i.e cultivation/production - see above) cannabis then
you can be arrested, charged and prosecuted. The outcome however may depend on the
scale and individual case but it is nevertheless illegal to "grow" cannabis in the
UK.
Growing = cultivation/production.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh_j" wildpoppy@invalid wrote in message

hugh_j wrote:
[...]

It's called "Panorama"

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/n...ges/hemp43.jpg

Old 08-03-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

hugh_j wrote:
[...]

Ta. Just reading the article now.
Housework calls. Read it later.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:41:50 +0000, hugh_j wildpoppy@invalid wrote:

As things stand it is a criminal offence to plant a cannabis seed in
your garden. This situation has arisen as a result of long-term lobbying
by the drug companies.

Rubbish!

Not much of a counter-argument there.

Good newsgroups don't generally give trolls much mileage.

My mistake and apologies.

Easy done once you have the attention you crave!

--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.