Old 09-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Paulo

Default Dendrobium Sprin Dream Appollon

Hi All!, I need some help with my Dendrobium, it has just one "branch", with
3 keikis....it is potted with spanghum moss. I ve heard it will be better
mounted....and I would like to have some indications how to do it. I have a
nice piece of bark I can use..but what kind of material shoul i use? Also,
now that is growing these keikis, is it a good time to do it?

I was thinking to take all this branch (with keikis) and mounted paralel to
the bark pice i have, and use spanghum to cover the roots. Should also fix
some spanghum around the keikis?

Thanks

--
Paulo

Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I'm no dendrobium expert, so others can probably give better advice, but I
suspect that the keiki production without other new growth is a sign of
stress, probably due to being too wet in the sphagnum.

On the assumption that they have decent roots already, I'd mount the kiekies
separately from the mother plant, with only a small amount of moss over the
roots - they'll outgrow it soon enough anyway.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

.. .

Old 09-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Dave

That is Dendrobium Spring Dream 'Appollon' it is a nobile and can be grown
in sphagnum moss, they like a lot of water during growing season. There are
some different growing requirements for the nobile such as no water in Nov,
Dec, Jan. and do not fertilize before the buds set in the spring or you will
only get kiekies. You can mount it if you desire, just remember - a lot of
water and fertilizer during growing season. My Spring Dream had over a
hundred blooms on it last spring.
.. .

Old 10-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Paulo

Thanks Dave, but i think my problem was too much water.....I bought it in
full bloom, anf after all teh flowers were gone, started to grow
keikis....Now one of the keikis is also dying (2 left) they look ehalthy and
start to grow roots....Now, what can i do to save the keikis??? I was
thinking mounting them with spanghum moss.....Any idea/help

--
Paulo
"Dave" wrote in message
m...
That is Dendrobium Spring Dream 'Appollon' it is a nobile and can be

grown
in sphagnum moss, they like a lot of water during growing season. There

are
some different growing requirements for the nobile such as no water in

Nov,
Dec, Jan. and do not fertilize before the buds set in the spring or you

will
only get kiekies. You can mount it if you desire, just remember - a lot

of
water and fertilizer during growing season. My Spring Dream had over a
hundred blooms on it last spring.
.. .

Old 10-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Dave

That would work, if you have more than one keikie try to pot it in another
medium. I do not care for sphagnum because of the way it holds water, the
main place I use it is when I mount a plant. Good Luck!

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks Dave, but i think my problem was too much water.....I bought it in
full bloom, anf after all teh flowers were gone, started to grow
keikis....Now one of the keikis is also dying (2 left) they look ehalthy

and
start to grow roots....Now, what can i do to save the keikis??? I was
thinking mounting them with spanghum moss.....Any idea/help

--
Paulo
"Dave" wrote in message
m...
That is Dendrobium Spring Dream 'Appollon' it is a nobile and can be

grown
in sphagnum moss, they like a lot of water during growing season. There

are
some different growing requirements for the nobile such as no water in

Nov,
Dec, Jan. and do not fertilize before the buds set in the spring or you

will
only get kiekies. You can mount it if you desire, just remember - a lot

of
water and fertilizer during growing season. My Spring Dream had over a
hundred blooms on it last spring.
.. .