Old 16-03-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How lovely it all is!

Spring is just about to arrive.! I saw a water vole down by the brook
where I walk out dog this morning. (Before someone says it may have
been a rat, it was not, although I believe water voles are distantly
related to rats but have chubby little faces and shorter tails). It
dashed off up the bank when it saw me then re-appeared briefly before
scurrying away to hide. We knew they were back a couple of years ago but
it's the first time I have seen one. Then to my delight, there was a
woodpecker not ten yards away on the grass. It was only a common
woodpecker but all the same, it is exciting to see one so close.
Perhaps you think this is very childish but it has brought me great
pleasure this morning. Makes you forget all you troubles for a while.
--
June Hughes
Old 16-03-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 12:09, Martin wrote:
Until Sunday evening when snow is forecast until Wednesday

Yep. It has gone very cold here in Manc this morning but now the wind
is freezing. I'm only wearing a little jacket ... typical (

Old 16-03-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Shorts, sandels and T shirt all day again -

in Dorset's most suvverly village ;-)

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 16-03-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 14:22, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:
Shorts, sandels and T shirt all day again -

How cruel, how ... sob

Old 16-03-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/07 14:22, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

Shorts, sandels and T shirt all day again -

in Dorset's most suvverly village ;-)

snip
Very sunny and warm here today - I hate to hear of it all disappearing!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-03-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Spring is just about to arrive.! I saw a water vole down by the brook
where I walk out dog this morning. (Before someone says it may have been
a rat, it was not, although I believe water voles are distantly related to
rats but have chubby little faces and shorter tails). It dashed off up
the bank when it saw me then re-appeared briefly before scurrying away to
hide. We knew they were back a couple of years ago but it's the first time
I have seen one. Then to my delight, there was a woodpecker not ten yards
away on the grass. It was only a common woodpecker but all the same, it
is exciting to see one so close. Perhaps you think this is very childish
but it has brought me great pleasure this morning. Makes you forget all
you troubles for a while.
--
June Hughes

Still a lot of snow around but I heard a goose flying over the house a few
minutes ago - there'll soon be huge flights of them honking their way north.
Graham

Old 16-03-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 14:44, "graham" wrote:
Still a lot of snow around but I heard a goose flying over the house a few
minutes ago - there'll soon be huge flights of them honking their way north.

Where are you Graham?

Old 16-03-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 16 Mar, 14:44, "graham" wrote:
Still a lot of snow around but I heard a goose flying over the house a
few
minutes ago - there'll soon be huge flights of them honking their way
north.

Where are you Graham?

I'm a Brit living in western Canada.
BTW - Did you know Yvonne Phillips of Phillips Planning Services?
Graham

Old 16-03-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 14:55, "graham" wrote:
I'm a Brit living in western Canada.

Lovely. I wondered where your goose came from )

BTW - Did you know Yvonne Phillips of Phillips Planning Services?

I've heard of the organisation but I don't know Yvonne - they're local
to me aren't they?! What's the connection with you .....?! (Everybody
this week is at mipim ...).

Old 16-03-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message w3yKh.24884$DN.4071@pd7urf2no, graham
writes

[...]

I forgot about the Canada geese. There is a flock ('gaggle' of geese?)
near here and they were flying about in pairs this morning, honking
away. Sometimes they stop all the traffic by walking in the road Fun!
--
June Hughes

Old 16-03-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 16 Mar, 14:55, "graham" wrote:
I'm a Brit living in western Canada.

Lovely. I wondered where your goose came from )

BTW - Did you know Yvonne Phillips of Phillips Planning Services?

I've heard of the organisation but I don't know Yvonne - they're local
to me aren't they?! What's the connection with you .....?! (Everybody
this week is at mipim ...).

Someone I went to school with, and from my village. She was a graduate of
Manchester Uni (Town Planning) and operated a consultancy with her husband,
based in Bedford. She died recently.
Graham

Old 16-03-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 16 Mar, 12:09, Martin wrote:
Until Sunday evening when snow is forecast until Wednesday

Yep. It has gone very cold here in Manc this morning but now the wind
is freezing. I'm only wearing a little jacket ... typical (

are you connected to a wireless pc/laptop?

Old 16-03-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message w3yKh.24884$DN.4071@pd7urf2no, graham
writes
Still a lot of snow around but I heard a goose flying over the house a few
minutes ago - there'll soon be huge flights of them honking their way
north.
Graham

I forgot about the Canada geese. There is a flock ('gaggle' of geese?)
near here and they were flying about in pairs this morning, honking away.
Sometimes they stop all the traffic by walking in the road Fun!
--

I think so too but a lot stay in the city here and people complain about
their droppings all over the pathways etc.

Old 16-03-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 15:28, "graham" wrote:
Someone I went to school with, and from my village. She was a graduate of
Manchester Uni (Town Planning) and operated a consultancy with her husband,
based in Bedford. She died recently.

Graham - I'm so sorry. I'll tell D my partner when he's back - he
graduated from Mcr uni too.

Old 16-03-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Mar, 15:38, "Space" wrote:
are you connected to a wireless pc/laptop?

Yeah. Are you going to tell me how to keep warm?

Lovely Veronica Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 3 30-03-2009 12:32 AM
Lovely, Fragrant, Stingy Shiva Roses 0 15-05-2004 07:13 PM
Lovely day Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 12-05-2004 11:20 PM
Coming up bloomin' lovely Mike United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 04:08 PM
For Auction, lovely book Well Planned Garden Geoff Phillips United Kingdom 0 11-12-2002 12:33 PM