Old 19-03-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Squirrel Stew!

On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

A friend's old dad catches them like this:

Fill a bird feeder with peanuts and hang it in a convenient tree.
Under it place a dustbin with a foot of water in the bottom.
Tie fishing line to the feeder and lead it indoors through a window.
When squirrel is busy on the feeder, give a sharp jerk on the line.
Ensure squirrel is completely dead before handling it.

For professional use, you can buy a variety of "humane" squirrel traps
from websites. Peanuts are a good bait. Place the whole trap in water
and drown squirrel as above.

Hang for 2-5 days depending on the weather.
Allow about one squirrel per person and use any good stew recipe -
they're excellent.

--
Sue ]

If you did follow the above advice to drown the squirrel you could be
in deep sh**. it's an illegal way of killing. You have to use a humane
method, such as shooting,

Except that the 'humane' method is more distressing, as, if you don't kill
it with the first shot, it suffers far more, whilst you shoot it, again and
again and again.

Then there is the problme of getting a gun in the first place, and how do
you get a licence to be able to use it?

Drowning is very quick and reliable, it takes ten seconds to die.

Alan

I think you'll find it takes 2 to 3 mins to drown them, from what I
remember from my youth when it was legal to drown kittens.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
[...]

Have you ever drowned a squirrel?

It is nothing at all like drowning kittens!

It takes about 10 seconds, how do I know, cos I've timed it.

Alan

Old 19-03-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
[...]

And you still haven't told me how to get a gun and a licence?

Alan

Old 19-03-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

Then there is the problme of getting a gun in the first place, and
how do
you get a licence to be able to use it?

Drowning is very quick and reliable, it takes ten seconds to die.

Alan

I think you'll find it takes 2 to 3 mins to drown them, from what I
remember from my youth when it was legal to drown kittens.

And you still haven't told me how to get a gun and a licence?

Alan

For killing squirrel and other similar vermin you only need a low
powered air rifle for which you don't need a licence or permission from
the police. There is a maximum muzzle velocity set for unlicensed guns.
There's a choice of two calibres......0.22 and 0.175 (I think it is).
Yellow pages will tell you your nearest gun stockist who all sell good
used models and who all offer advice to newbies.
An important point to remember is that it is illegal for your fired
pellet to cross your property border.

p.pleater.

Old 19-03-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Mar, 20:44, "p. pleater" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

Item from DEFRA publication on pest control
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rds/publicat...cal/TAN_09.pdf
reads
Once set, traps should be inspected at least once a
day. Captured squirrels should be removed
outdoors and then humanely dispatched. They can
be run into a sack and killed by a sharp blow to the
head. Alternatively, they may be shot whilst in the
cage, using a suitable weapon. Shooting should
only be undertaken by an experienced, competent
person. Care must be taken to avoid the risk of
ricochet and traps should be placed on soft ground
to reduce this hazard. Trapped squirrels should not
be drowned as this is considered to be inhumane.

Squirrels are protected from ill-treatment by the Wild
Mammals (Protection) Act 1996.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

And it could still take several shots to actually kill the squirrel, during
which time it is suffering.

Alan

Old 19-03-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 20:44, "p. pleater" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

I always check mine at least twice a day.

They can
be run into a sack and killed by a sharp blow to the
head.

Have ouy EVER tried to open a trap whilst the sqirrel is inside it, squirels
have knives for claws and I would not want to be anywhere near one without
armour on, they are EXTREEMLY dangerous.

Alternatively, they may be shot whilst in the
cage, using a suitable weapon. Shooting should
only be undertaken by an experienced, competent
person.

Which lets me out, I did learn how to shoot people whilst in the navy, but
that was along time ago, and I would not wish to make any animal suffer
unneccessarily, but trying to shot the animal whilst it was running up and
down a trap, about 2 feet long will not result in a quick death, it is not
going to stand still whilst you make some attempt to shoot it.

Care must be taken to avoid the risk of
ricochet and traps should be placed on soft ground
to reduce this hazard. Trapped squirrels should not
be drowned as this is considered to be inhumane.

But very quick, and was the recomended method of killing them until the do
good nutters got to hear about it, and they have no experience of dealing
with vermin.

Squirrels are protected from ill-treatment by the Wild
Mammals (Protection) Act 1996.

Drowning is quick and easy.

I have to ask again, have you ever had any experience of dispatching
squirrels?

Alan

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-03-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Mar, 23:12, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 19 Mar, 20:44, "p. pleater" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

Since you are so insistent.
Yes,
I have always shot them. without the aid of traps

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-03-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 19 Mar, 23:12, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

oups.com...

On 19 Mar, 20:44, "p. pleater" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

If this is true, you must have a means of hypnotising them to get them to
stand still why you aim and fire, the squirrels in this part of the world do
not stand still long enough to aim, never mind press the trigger, unless
your gun sprays shot over several yards!

And clearly you have never had to deal with one in a trap so the point about
letting them out into a sake to batter them to death is fiction.

Alan

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-03-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And clearly you have never had to deal with one in a trap so the point
about

letting them out into a sake to batter them to death is fiction.

Alan

For the squeamish, one could put the cage in a large box into which is
attached a hosepipe from your car exhaust. There is a species of ground
squirrel on tthe Prairies that are a pest to farmers as their burrows are a
hazard to cattle. Farmers can use some nasty poisons but some attach a pipe
to the exhaust of their tractor and gas them.
Graham

Old 20-03-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 20, 3:50 pm, "graham" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And clearly you have never had to deal with one in a trap so the point
about

letting them out into a sake to batter them to death is fiction.

Alan

For the squeamish, one could put the cage in a large box into which is
attached a hosepipe from your car exhaust. There is a species of ground
squirrel on tthe Prairies that are a pest to farmers as their burrows are a
hazard to cattle. Farmers can use some nasty poisons but some attach a pipe
to the exhaust of their tractor and gas them.
Graham

How long would it take with a modern low emission car? I heard
recently that some cars in big polluted cities put out less pollution
than they suck in (but I guess that'll be a topic for another thread)

Old 20-03-2007, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 20, 3:50 pm, "graham" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And clearly you have never had to deal with one in a trap so the point
about
letting them out into a sake to batter them to death is fiction.

Alan

For the squeamish, one could put the cage in a large box into which is
attached a hosepipe from your car exhaust. There is a species of ground
squirrel on tthe Prairies that are a pest to farmers as their burrows are
hazard to cattle. Farmers can use some nasty poisons but some attach a
pipe
to the exhaust of their tractor and gas them.
Graham

How long would it take with a modern low emission car?

Damned if I know. One could try a petrol lawnmower instead.

Old 20-03-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 20 Mar, 16:31, "adder1969" wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:50 pm, "graham" wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

And clearly you have never had to deal with one in a trap so the point
about
letting them out into a sake to batter them to death is fiction.

Alan

For the squeamish, one could put the cage in a large box into which is
attached a hosepipe from your car exhaust. There is a species of ground
squirrel on tthe Prairies that are a pest to farmers as their burrows are a
hazard to cattle. Farmers can use some nasty poisons but some attach a pipe
to the exhaust of their tractor and gas them.
Graham

How long would it take with a modern low emission car? I heard
recently that some cars in big polluted cities put out less pollution
than they suck in (but I guess that'll be a topic for another thread)

We used to use that method of a hose from the car exhaust to get rid
of moles, though it didn't work as well as carbide.

As for the squirrels, I wonder if Rat glue would work?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 20-03-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...
On Mar 20, 3:50 pm, "graham" wrote:

[...]

What is rat glue, and how is it used?

Alan

Old 21-03-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:12:27 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 20:44, "p. pleater" wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
roups.com...
On 19 Mar, 12:55, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

egroups.com...

[...]

We usually have you locked up! In your case it wasn't long enough.

Squirrels are protected from ill-treatment by the Wild
Mammals (Protection) Act 1996.

Drowning is quick and easy.

Then find a lake and prove it!

--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.