Old 18-03-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squirrel Stew!

Whilst trawling through a few of my recipe books, I came across what could
just be the answer to all you gardeners plagued by squirrels. Squirrel Stew!
Yes folks, it seems that a squirrel stew solves a lot of problems, one being
what to do with the blighters once you've shot them. This recipe is from a
South Louisiana Cajun cookin' recipe book and very easy to prepare, once you
have your squirrels.

For the recipe you will need, 3 squirrels, 2 cups of chopped red onions, 1
cup chopped spring onions, 1 large chopped red pepper, 1½ cups chopped
celery, 2 cloves of garlic (crushed), ½ cup of chopped parsley, 2 rashers of
bacon, 1 cup of plain flour, 2 tsp. salt and pepper, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1½
cups of dry white wine, a dash of Angostura bitters, 2 cups of water and 1
large chopped very hot chilli with the seeds..

First skin and clean out your squirrels, then brown them in a hot non-stick
frying pan with the bacon rashers and 1 tbsp olive oil.. Remove the
squirrels and bacon from the pan and braise the red pepper, red onion,
chilli and celery until nicely browned. Prepare a roux using the flour and
bacon rashers which should now be chopped. Transfer to a stew pot including
the water, wine, soy sauce, garlic, Angostura bitters, spring onions and
parsley. Cook in an oven on the middle shelf for about 1½ hours at 200°C
(400°F) gas 6. The recipe doesn't say if it is safe to eat the squirrels
after they have feasted on your bluebell and crocus bulbs. Perhaps they
don't bother in America. Anyway, enjoy!

MikeCT

Old 18-03-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Mar, 11:35, "MikeCT" wrote:
[...]

To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-03-2007, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message
[...]

having served 3 years in Morgan City Louisiana, I can assure you there aint
no squirrels in them there woods now................just crawfish, gators
and neutras (their equiv to our roadkill badger)..............but their food
was good eating especially the Red Snapper out of the local swamp.

Old 18-03-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Dave Hill" writes:

| To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

Quite. But I can witness that casseroled squirrel is delicious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-03-2007, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:35:22 GMT, "MikeCT"
wrote:

Whilst trawling through a few of my recipe books, I came across what could
just be the answer to all you gardeners plagued by squirrels. Squirrel Stew!
Yes folks, it seems that a squirrel stew solves a lot of problems, one being
what to do with the blighters once you've shot them.

Wish we could shoot you, prat, but then I doubt you'd like a taste of
your own medicine!

--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.

Old 18-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren View Post

But I can witness that casseroled squirrel is delicious.

Aha! Another Urban Myth bites the dust... I was brought up to believe that squirrel was bitter, and therefore not eaten. But hedgehogs cooked in clay were very tasty. Thus ran the teachings of our east anglian genuine Romany gypsies.

Doesn't mention removing the pellets, or is that done at the dinner table?
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 18-03-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article .com,
"Dave Hill" writes:

| To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

Quite. But I can witness that casseroled squirrel is delicious.

I've never noticed enough meat on them to make it worthwhile bothering!

Alan

Old 18-03-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 18 Mar, 11:35, "MikeCT" wrote:
[...]

you beat me to it.
I wanted to know if they had to be dead first.
Des in freezing wet Dublin

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 18-03-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 18 Mar, 11:35, "MikeCT" wrote:
[...]

Personally, I use roadkill. Squirrel makes a nice Brunswick stew.

s.

Old 18-03-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

A friend's old dad catches them like this:

Fill a bird feeder with peanuts and hang it in a convenient tree.
Under it place a dustbin with a foot of water in the bottom.
Tie fishing line to the feeder and lead it indoors through a window.
When squirrel is busy on the feeder, give a sharp jerk on the line.
Ensure squirrel is completely dead before handling it.

For professional use, you can buy a variety of "humane" squirrel traps
from websites. Peanuts are a good bait. Place the whole trap in water
and drown squirrel as above.

Hang for 2-5 days depending on the weather.
Allow about one squirrel per person and use any good stew recipe -
they're excellent.

--
Sue ]

Old 19-03-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

A friend's old dad catches them like this:

Fill a bird feeder with peanuts and hang it in a convenient tree.
Under it place a dustbin with a foot of water in the bottom.
Tie fishing line to the feeder and lead it indoors through a window.
When squirrel is busy on the feeder, give a sharp jerk on the line.
Ensure squirrel is completely dead before handling it.

For professional use, you can buy a variety of "humane" squirrel traps
from websites. Peanuts are a good bait. Place the whole trap in water
and drown squirrel as above.

Hang for 2-5 days depending on the weather.
Allow about one squirrel per person and use any good stew recipe -
they're excellent.

--
Sue ]

If you did follow the above advice to drown the squirrel you could be
in deep sh**. it's an illegal way of killing. You have to use a humane
method, such as shooting,

David Hiull
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

Old 19-03-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar 2007 02:48:30 -0700, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

[...]

Not sure the dick head would understand!

Old 19-03-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article .com,
"Dave Hill" writes:

| To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

Quite. But I can witness that casseroled squirrel is delicious.

Pedant in the Kitchen. Julian Barnes. (He didn't think much of it
IIRC).
--
June Hughes
Old 19-03-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 18 Mar, 22:51, MadCow wrote:
In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

[...]

Except that the 'humane' method is more distressing, as, if you don't kill
it with the first shot, it suffers far more, whilst you shoot it, again and
again and again.

Then there is the problme of getting a gun in the first place, and how do
you get a licence to be able to use it?

Drowning is very quick and reliable, it takes ten seconds to die.

Alan