Old 21-03-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well...........!

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 19 Mar, 19:29, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Good grief, that's where I was born. Manchester Rd, Chorlton to be
precise.
How is the old place?

The streets are lovely and clean with fabulous front gardens. Around
my allotment each street trees have sweatpeas up them or clematis and
roses. It's quite charming really. But the house prices ... there's no
chance I'll ever be able to purchase one. I had fallen in love with
one a couple of years ago and when I visited the agency, the house was
going for £400K. I'll content myself with my lotty plot ;o) Chorlton
is really buzing - lots of new cafes, shops and restaurant/pubs. It's
very trendy now. Lots of organic veg shops, organic boucher/fish
stalls etc. I counted 5 flower shops on Saturday. Had lunch there,
again, as it's my village really and I always meet someone I know. I'm
sure you'd like it very much.

Thanks for that, it sounds completely different to the place where I lived
in the 50s/early 60s. I'll have to go and have a look around next time I'm
back up north.

Incidentally, aren't your allotments on the line of what was the railway
when I were a lad? I just checked it out on google earth and it looks like
that.

Steve

Old 21-03-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Mar, 15:09, "shazzbat"
wrote:
Thanks for that, it sounds completely different to the place where I lived
in the 50s/early 60s. I'll have to go and have a look around next time I'm
back up north.

Please, do check with me - it will be a pleasure to show you around.

Incidentally, aren't your allotments on the line of what was the railway
when I were a lad? I just checked it out on google earth and it looks like
that.

Yes, that's right. We'be been told that the metro link would pass
there but it never did (and we're ready for them if they try this idea
again, beleive me). Badgers and foxes live on the disuse line. Waste
of land really, but it's a place for us too, of course. We're just
opposite the baths, these have been there since the Romans invasion,
surely. The allotment celebrated 100 years last year. With my husband
we had made a sign and came to deliver it well before the party so
that we could nail it on the hut and unveil it. Needless to say when
the party started an hour later, under that sunshine ... and a few
more beers .... I fell asleeep in the high grass, a happy garl ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?dvq2IdRFSs

Old 21-03-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 21 Mar, 15:09, "shazzbat"
wrote:
[...]

They were certainly very old when I learned to swim there, assuming you mean
Chorlton baths, at the top of Kensington Rd. Surely they must be listed now.
And speaking of Roman influence, does it still say PVBLIC LIBRARY above the
library just by Oswald Rd school, where I went to primary school (with the
Bee Gees, as I found out a couple of years ago)?

You've given my nostalgic nerve a right kicking now.

Steve

Old 21-03-2007, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

You've given my nostalgic nerve a right kicking now.

Steve

Ah!! but you should have been about in the old days. Nostalgia just isn't
what it used to be ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 21-03-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Unfortunately I can't help you there Janet - we had 1st earlies and
mid-season that had been passed on to us and the seeds were saved each
year. We did the same with toms (big ugly medit-types with few seeds
and lots of very tasty flesh) and runner beans. I know that the
latter were the original 'Droitwich Champion', because the old chappy
responsible for bringing them to Webb's Seeds gave me some of his
personally saved seed.

I suppose that since the folks concerned are probably long since gone,
it doesn't matter me relating this about how that runner came into
being. Webb's are now a very large garden centre, but prior to that
incarnation they were a highly reputable seed company, second only to
Suttons. One of their staff was a fabulously wily old character
called Alf Wormington who had veg growing in his veins. What he
didn't know wasn't worth knowing. He had been with them since before
the war and when I knew him he was a part-timer, long since retired.

He told me that he used to keep an allotment down at Wychbold and
there was a great deal of rivalry between the holders. He discovered
his neighbour had a row of beans that produced the most wonderful long
pods; possibly the result of many years careful selection. Alf asked
for a few seeds but was flatly refused. He asked where they had come
from and received no reply. Those beans won a first at the local show
that year, trouncing all of the competition and were greatly admired.
They were good eating too, which made them all the more desirable. As
the next season progressed, Friday night talk in the local pub
revolved around veg growing and the upcoming local show. It was
generally agreed that Alf's neighbour would once more take first prize
for his runners, but they were slightly aggrieved that he wouldn't
share the seed or discuss its origins.

On his way home one night, confidence boosted by more than a few pints
of Bank's mild, Alf took a slightly wobbly detour. He clambered over
the fence and snipped a single immature pod from the row of prize
beans. He carefully dried it off and managed get 3 small seeds to
store properly without shrivelling. Just one germinated the following
spring. This was grown on at Webb's trial grounds; his employers
being totally unaware of the source. Seeds were collected from the
best pods and after a few years, 'Droitwich Champion' was ready to be
launched onto the market with considerable applause. It remained a
well respected variety well into the 1970's and I suspect that old
Colonel Webb was never aware of the source.

Wonderful story Dave! And all power to old Alf. I dips me lid to his
attempts to spread this seed in the interests of fellow gardeners even if
his methods were rather devious.

Old 22-03-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Mar, 20:58, "shazzbat"
wrote:
They were certainly very old when I learned to swim there, assuming you mean
Chorlton baths, at the top of Kensington Rd. Surely they must be listed now.
And speaking of Roman influence, does it still say PVBLIC LIBRARY above the
library just by Oswald Rd school, where I went to primary school (with the
Bee Gees, as I found out a couple of years ago)?

Yes, yes and yes ) Didn't know the Gees were there. I know lots of
kids in Oswald Rd school, I'm going to tell them. Got a lovely guilded
mirror at the September car boot sale for 12 quids! Bargain. Library
still standing and next to it, the beautiful pub which became a
private taxi, then abandonned, 2 years ago it was refurbished. It's
magnificent now - using original victorian colours. But we don't use
the bath - they've nearly got knocked down and after a revolt by the
locals, the council kept them, along with all the services. It's fully
occupied and buzing. We go there as much as we can on Sundays (whilst
the roast slowly cooks) and play badmington for a couple of hours.

You've given my nostalgic nerve a right kicking now.

It's nice isn't it?! I post to a forum in my home town. There's
nothing like it to get the blues away.

Old 22-03-2007, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 21 Mar, 20:58, "shazzbat"
wrote:
They were certainly very old when I learned to swim there, assuming you
mean
Chorlton baths, at the top of Kensington Rd. Surely they must be listed
now.
And speaking of Roman influence, does it still say PVBLIC LIBRARY above
the
library just by Oswald Rd school, where I went to primary school (with
the
Bee Gees, as I found out a couple of years ago)?

Yes, yes and yes ) Didn't know the Gees were there. I know lots of
kids in Oswald Rd school, I'm going to tell them.

I was wondering if it was still a going concern. So, while you're at it, you
may want to tell them that in July 1961 we were all trooped out of school to
stand on M/cr Rd outside the library in the pouring rain and wave and cheer
as Yuri Gagarin was driven past on his visit to Manchester.

Steve

Old 23-03-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message

I know that the
latter were the original 'Droitwich Champion', because the old chappy
responsible for bringing them to Webb's Seeds gave me some of his
personally saved seed.

Alf asked
for a few seeds but was flatly refused. He asked where they had come
from and received no reply.

This was grown on at Webb's trial grounds; his employers
being totally unaware of the source. Seeds were collected from the
best pods and after a few years, 'Droitwich Champion' was ready to be
launched onto the market with considerable applause. It remained a
well respected variety well into the 1970's and I suspect that old
Colonel Webb was never aware of the source.

There are two sorts of gardeners though aren't there?

One sort will help and teach you about allotments or flower producing or
share their seeds and knowledge with pride. They get as much
satisfaction out of introducing new recruits to a rare plant or shrub as
they do to actually growing one, like Geoff Hamilton.

Then there seems to be those, (we have at least one in our club, who
wins RHS prizes for daffodils, dahlias and delphiniums) who will not
share even the smallest hint as to why they are so successful.

Such a shame, they seem to just want to keep their secrets forever when
in actual fact I bet if you were to replicate their methods you wouldn't
match their prowess as it is often more than just the fundamentals that
produce winning plants!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 23-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Amethyst Deceiver writes
La Puce wrote:
On 19 Mar, 11:56, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is
there still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans
and onion sets" may have been a clue.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening
books on my kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets
themselves, I'm not early with the peas or broad beans.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarmar.asp
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...rden-march.php
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/GardenDiary.htm
http://www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm

all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

Well, you'll have seen the majority verdict on here is that you are OK
:-)
And no need to replant since I imagine they haven't even burst
through the surface of the soil yet. I always used to plant my broad
beans in March (Feb when I was in Kent).

Thanks!

One of my academics, who lives down the road from me, pointed out that
despite the weather the soil hadn't frozen so we should be okay.

--
Linz
Wet Yorks via Cambridge, York, London and Watford

Old 23-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
wrote:
Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans and onion sets or is
there still a chance they'll survive?

I wouldn't worry about the onions - but you're early with peas/broad
beans. I would wait and see - however how tall are your peas/broad
beans? Or have you just planted the seeds?

My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans
and onion sets" may have been a clue.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening
books on my kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets
themselves, I'm not early with the peas or broad beans.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/cal...alendarmar.asp
http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/growing_show...rden-march.php
http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/GardenDiary.htm
http://www.pan-uk.org/Info/gardening.htm

all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

I would say you're on the tardy side if anything but then again i
wouldn't take any advice from Alan Titchmarsh either

I look at what they say and add a month - I suspect it's colder in Wet Yorks
than dahn sarf where most of them are!

Old 23-03-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
On 20 Mar, 12:26, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
My original post - "Should I replant last week's peas, broad beans
and onion sets" may have been a clue.

I'm so sorry indeed it was. I don't do it like this. I straight sow.
Now you're asking if you should therefore 'replant' everything? I'm
sorry but I still don't understand. You have sown in pots, planted
them and now wonder if you should 'replant' them. Yes? Replant them
where? And why? And do what with them?

So that's why I've said, wait and see and added that it is quite early
to do peas and broadbeans - thought we all differ for sowing times
with broadbeans because of different climate. As for the onions, mine
have been in ages ago.

According to Carol Klein, Alan Titchmarsh, three other gardening
books on my kitchen table and, more importantly, the seed packets
themselves, I'm not early with the peas or broad beans.
all seem to think I was okay to plant in March.

Sure. If you have seeds, you sow not plant. There's a difference and
it's this that has confused me. You mention planting, which means you
have already sown your broadbeans and peas. In this case it was too
early - for me at least.

And yet I've been planting seeds all my life.

Old 25-03-2007, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Mar, 21:20, "shazzbat"
wrote:
I was wondering if it was still a going concern. So, while you're at it, you
may want to tell them that in July 1961 we were all trooped out of school to
stand on M/cr Rd outside the library in the pouring rain and wave and cheer
as Yuri Gagarin was driven past on his visit to Manchester.

Did just that last night when we had a bunch of friends and their kids
around our table for a feast! Where are you Steve?

Old 25-03-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 22 Mar, 21:20, "shazzbat"
wrote:
I was wondering if it was still a going concern. So, while you're at it,
you
may want to tell them that in July 1961 we were all trooped out of school
stand on M/cr Rd outside the library in the pouring rain and wave and
cheer
as Yuri Gagarin was driven past on his visit to Manchester.

Did just that last night when we had a bunch of friends and their kids
around our table for a feast! Where are you Steve?

I live in Dorset now, it's where my wife is from. I left C-c-H in 1964,
moved to Failsworth, joined the army in 1968, left it in 1980, and settled
down here.

I still have a sister in Stretford, and one in Disley, and I'm hoping to
come up and see them in late May, we ought to be able to fit in a trundle
round Chorlton. In recent years it's been pretty much just weddings and
funerals we've come up for.

Incidentally, you can see our allotment here. Although it hasn't been
updated for yonks, it won't let me in for some reason.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

Steve

Old 25-03-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Mar, 13:05, "shazzbat"
wrote:
I live in Dorset now, it's where my wife is from. I left C-c-H in 1964,
moved to Failsworth, joined the army in 1968, left it in 1980, and settled
down here.
I still have a sister in Stretford, and one in Disley, and I'm hoping to
come up and see them in late May, we ought to be able to fit in a trundle
round Chorlton. In recent years it's been pretty much just weddings and
funerals we've come up for.

We must meet, it's in m diary now. I'll take you to Vicar's road
nursery in Chorlton, a gorgeous little garden centre, nestled in the
middle of back gardens, a hidden magical place really. It would be
great for you to treat yourself to something to take back to Dorset.

Incidentally, you can see our allotment here. Although it hasn't been
updated for yonks, it won't let me in for some reason.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

Melon?! You grew melons, twice? I'm just about to sow Charentais, my
frist melons. I see yours were outdoors. Were they good? Any tips? I
will grow mine on the lotty - I don't have a green house, just a
veranda with only morning sun.

Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Well well! Rusty_Hinge[_2_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 04:39 PM
Well well! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 1 11-03-2009 03:58 PM